What to do if you've picked out some baby names you LOVE, but you know DH will HATE them?

We always disagree on names. We haven't even bothered talking about it this time around. I have a couple girl names I love, but I know DH will just shoot them down as soon as I bring them up. Not that he has anything else in mind. I keep thinking I just won't say anything 'til the babies born, and when it is, I'll have a list.... But I know it's gonna just be a fight. bleh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Baby Names

• my husband and i had a hard time agreeing on names he liked some names i didnt i liked some names and he didnt so i finally picked a name that he loved and we agreed on but never fought over names..the name we decided on was Trenton Christian..We Combined Both of Our Names Together To Make His Name!!! Good luck You Both Will Agree On One Just Takes Time!!
    mommy2be671

Answer by mommy2be671 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• tell him all the names that are acceptable to you, and have him pick as many for himself. vote each other's names off the island til you each have one left. then find a way to work them together as first and middle. or, wrestle him for it, yelling, "OUCH! OW, babe! my stomach!" over and over until he is afraid of hurting the baby and you then win by default.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• One of you pick the first name and the other the middle name
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have had a name picked out for a baby boy ever since I was 12 and I'm still in love with that name. My SO hates it and only wants the boy (if we ever have one) to be named after him which I don't like
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 12:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My DH and I had to compromise. We chose a name we both liked, and believe me it was just about the only name we both could agree on.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Like I told my ex, I am going through 9-10 months of pregnancy, then going into labor. What are you doing? Watching. I get to name the baby. LOL! I ended up naming the baby what I wanted. He ended up loving it in the end.
    LoveMy2Kids10

Answer by LoveMy2Kids10 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yeah, agreeing on one of us choosing a first and the other a middle name--we'll just be in the same position we're already in. As long as we hate the name the other chooses, we're not going to agree to it, and if we didn't hate it, it wouldn't be a problem. LOL! Craziness.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• umm i wanted to name my daughter either adalynn or brooklyn and i told him those were the 2 names to pick and he picked brooklyn so our lil girls name is brooklyn
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 12:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We picked our names fairly. If it was a girl I got the pick the first name. Boy he picked the first name. Girl he got the middle name. Boy I got the middle name. We each got up to 10 names to give our partner for possibilities (if you have less thats fine too). We each got 3 veto's. That means of the 10 names he could veto 3 and I could veto 3 of his names he chose. That leaves 7 names to pick from and its agreed regardless (unless its really a BAD name like named after a super hero or something) one of those names will be it. It kept it fair.

Answer by gemgem at 8:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My husband and I had this problem with our first. I had been set on naming my first son Aidan Allister and my first daughter Scarlett Abigail. Well, he HATES Aidan Allister but loves Scarlett Abigail. So for a girl, we knew what name we were using as soon as we found out we were pregnant. So since he hated Aidan Allister (even though I loved it so much), I threw it out the window because he didn't like it. It's only fair because it's not just my kid, it's his too. His decision matters as much as mine does and I didn't want our child to have a name that he absolutely hates and only went with because I like it. So I went and found a bunch of names I liked and he did the same. He originally wanted to name our first son Ezra, but since I hate that name, he threw it out the window too. We eventually came to Brayden Thomas, we both liked that name. Thankfully my daughter was a girl and not a boy because now I hate Brayden.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2011