Scared of the bath...

My DD is scared of the bath..she will go swimming in a pool and she will take a bath in the sink but she is sooo scared of the bathtub and it is not just at the house it is every bathtub.. when i turn on the water she screams and pounds on the door to leave and it does not matter if someone gets in with her she is scared. what on earth could be causing this and what can i do to fix it?

MKlein

Asked by MKlein at 12:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you sure it's really fear, and not just intense dislike? My daughter was exactly that way. She would do fine with the sink bath. She love, love, loved to swim! But the bath-tub? Constant screaming. 5 minute force-wash and she's out.
    She kind of just grew out of it. We would take her in the shower with us, let her get used to it - I'd wash her then hand her out to Daddy. Once she stopped having issues with that, I'd sit her in the tub while I showered. She got used to that pretty quickly. Gave her some tub toys, little fish she can wind up, a duck that squirts, a 5-finger washcloth glove with nemo characters on it. She got to the point where she would not want to get out, now she takes baths by herself and loves it. Even demands to take baths.
    Just try showering/bathing with your toddler, see if that goes better. Sing silly songs while she bathes. Laugh a lot. She'll learn. Good luck.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• kenzie did it for a while but i started getting in with her and a week later she kicked me out... we played barbies and had a ball. It will get bettr. we sang songs i let her wash my hair and we just made it fun.Good Luck!

ShaunaYve

Answer by ShaunaYve at 1:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Run the bath without her in the room. Have you tried bubble bath?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• sometimes having their own "stuff" makes it special and exciting. my dd has a spongebob puff and disney princess body wash and special tub toys. she's always been good about it (hell, i can't get her OUT most of the time lol) but i would definitely try getting in with her or bringing her in the shower with you. make it fun, sing, splash, etc. maybe she'd like it better if you called it swimming and let her wear her swimsuit? or let her watch little mermaid n get her some ariel toys, my kiddo loves to pretend to be ariel...
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son doesn't like taking a bath either. He prefers showers; which I guess is better because it does save water.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 12:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011