How can I get the whole family to eat right on a budget of $500. amoth for food for six?

Due to my recent health scare and my husbands doc telling him he need to improve his diet because of his health issues I have been trying to convence him that the whole family should start eating right but he is stuburn and wont listen also healthy food is way more expensive than the cheap faty food and are food budget for a month is only $500.00 and some times it is less than that . so what do you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Health

• I have about $150 in food stamps to spend a month. With that, I provide enough food for my fiance and I and usually have some left over. However, I don't buy much meat. I'm not sure where you are from, but around here there are a ton of farmer's markets that sell fresh produce cheaper than at the store. Salad is very nutritional and varily cheap. If you plan your meals out ahead of time, then you won't spend extra money on food that you won't eat. Also, have you tried applying for WIC? They are a supplemental group that gives nutritional food. COUPONS! COUPONS! COUPONS! I hope I helped.
    mommyoftwins903

Answer by mommyoftwins903 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I've been using www.savingdinner.com furgal e-book for dinner. The meals are meant to serve 6 people. I buy what's on the list, plus other things for lunch and dinner and I spend about $130 a week. (That also includes soaps, dog food,etc) Some weeks its more and some it's less...but avg is $130.

The first few weeks was more pricy, because I didn't have a lot of what was consider staples (the spices, soy sause, rice vinger onions, etc. Now that they a lot of them I don't need to buy it or if I do it's only 1 or 2 items.

We have only 4 here and there is always more then enough for us and leftovers for lunch for 1-2 people the next day...
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• You're so right about healthy foods costing more. My husband luckily changed his lifestyle & is eating healthy now. I always make a 2 week menu & write my list based on the meals on it. We eat lots of chicken, but I only buy it when it is on sale. I also use coupons & shop the sale items. I also buy meat that has been marked down & just freeze it right away. I also buy lots of store brands. An example of a meal that has gotten cheaper for us is spaghetti. We always used hamburger in it, but now we just use sauce, cheese, & onions. It is healthier & cheaper.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I shop at discount grocery stores. I get almost everything there. We have 2 in my area, Aldi, and Save-a-Lot. I get a cart jam packed full of groceries for under $200. There are some things I won't buy there, though. I try to avoid Wal Mart for groceries... too much temptation. When I go to the regular grocery store, I try to use coupons. I used to be freakish about coupons, but saved about 25% off my bill. I don't have time for that anymore, though.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Use coupons. Shop the outside of the grocery store instead of the inner costly isles. Take a list and stick with it. Try buying your meats and veggies locally. We save alot doing just this. Water down the kids juices. Cut portions..do we really need seconds? LOL Times are soo tough for everyone    ..good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Okay so I don't know if you have these stores around you,but this is what I do. I get can goods and box goods at Sav-A-Lot, my meat from Ried's aka Food Lion, and farmers markets for fresh veggies and fruit.But I always make a menu for the month so that I know what and how much I need of each thing. For me a list is key in me saving money. Lord help me if I don't have a list.LOL
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• We feed a family of 3 (and we eat a lot of junk) on $400 a month. We clip coupons, buy generic products, etc. We don't skimp on the meat, produce, milk, etc. If you're trying to cut out the junk food, don't buy any. Another thing that helps save us A LOT of money is making menus and grocery lists.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• you are exactly right..comfort food, food that 'sticks to the ribs' is cheaper. I was raised by a 'deprssion baby' Clean your plate, never throw anything away, everything was fatty, gravy dripping, GOOOOD food..but a heart attack waiting to happen. It costs more to buy 'good' food. I choose to cut other places. I buy fruits and veggies, good white meats. No charmin in my house. generic tampons and kleenex, off brand diapers. You spend where you need to spend and save wherever you can. The most valuable lesson my parents taught me was to scrimp and save..I just do it selectively. Thermostat never goes over 58 and never under 78. It's a choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Include lots of legumes (beans/lentils) in your meals -

Look for marked down produce in the grocery store.

Sam's club marks down meats during the mid-week. Often I find roasts for less than ground beef. I use a food grinder and make my own ground beef

Brown rice is also full of nutrition -

We also eat a lot of stews that are full of vegetables that are blemished, potatoes, and reduced price meat - just a little. I also add a cup or so of lentils to extend the protein content.

When I can't find reduced veggies, I use frozen. I can get 10 bags for $10 on sale.

finally, whenever possible, I cook in bulk and freeze the leftovers. Having food ready to heat and eat saves saves us from ordering out for pizza because we're too tired to cook.

lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i have a family of 5 ~ i agree you can go to sav a lot i do but i also go to sam's club & buy in bulk it cost a little more at first but eventually you catch up, i also keep a lot "church cookbooks" around those christian ladies can cook,cheap, check some of the recipies out,you wont be disappointed. ( it can be done & you can do it! ) :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008