Do you think this relationship is odd between a mother and teenage son?

Mom: talking about how good looking her kid is and how hell be "a hottie"when hes older. Her Posting pictures of his body her sayibg how nice it looks. Always talking to him about parties n concerts. Laughi ng about the trouble he gets in at school with him. Making fun of "gay or stupid kids" he knows...

I find it sooo odd and strange. Do u think its more important b a friend or a parent? And what do u think of the above?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I say to each their own.  I would damn sure rather NOT be their friend though.  I'll be their friend when they are out on their own and productive members of society.  Until then, me = mom.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think all of that is inappropriate. And it's always more important to be a parent. It is your JOB! They don't hand you a baby in the hospital and say,"Congrats, you're now friends." You can be friends once the child is grown, but you will always be a parent.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• its more important to be a parent kids make friends at school and the parents are there to be parents duh...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Be a parent not his friend
    Eyes6519

Answer by Eyes6519 at 2:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• the mom just sounds very immature.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think if played right you can be there friend and parent.

And I don't think they sound all that odd, I better they have a really great relationship.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 3:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think it is not approperiate.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with gwen20 - she sounds very immature.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This parent seems to think she's cool with her son. She has her priorities all screwed up obviously.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• the parent is immature, and ignorant (gay/stupid slurs). she's teaching her son vanity instead of respect.

As far as the second question. A parent should be "freindly" with their kids into adulthood, and by that i mean open communication, be able to laugh and have fun, and be open enough to teach the harder parenting challenges. But at no time (IMO) is it acceptable for a child/young adult to see themselves as an equal. It is our job as parents to teach, it's their job to learn. (Doesn't mean we should be dictators, we just have to be authority figures).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011