HELP IMMEDIATELY!! My son is running a fever..

Ok so my son is 6 1/2 months old and he keeps spiking fevers..today it went from 100.5, down to 100.1..tehn to 100..now its back up to like 101.1..and i dont kno what to do! its midnight and i cant call his doctor..i;ve given him Tylenol like his Pedi said today..and it doesnt seem to be helping bring it back down, he seems overly fussy and keeps waking up burning up...so i took evreything off of him..but then he starts shivering..but his body is still like red hott..I dont kno if i should just wait and see if it stays at 101 or rises or take him to the ER immediately..idk..I would have to call 911 cuz i dont have a car and its in the middle of snowing outside..if i were to go to the hosptial..PLEASE HELP NOW IF ANY MOTHERS ARE ON

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him a warm bath dress him in some nice compy jamies make sure hes comfortable...if you have infants motrin use that its alot better than tylenol....give him a baba or cuppy whichever hes taking right now and just rock him...they say not to take babys to the er unless its 100.3 and honestly they'll run a few test on him and tell you the same thing i did unless theres something truly truly wrong and its not just a fever or cold...iv been through this with my son and i was FREAKING OUT...dont take him out of the house unless its a dyer emergancy specally in the snow it could just make his fever worse...GL hope he gets better and i hope this helps....just calm down momma!! lol have a nice night
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• U CAN TRY ONIONS TO REDUCE HIS FEVER MAY SOUND WEIRD BUT IT WORKS TAKE AN INION CUT IN HALF THEN LIKE IF U R MAKING ONION RINGS PLACE THEM IN HIS BACK ON THE BOTTOM OF HIS FEET THEN SOCKS OVER PUT ON HIS CHEST UNDER SHIRT THIS HELPS THE FEVER GET OUT N ONIONS WILL TURN BROWN WHEN FEVER IS OUT GOODLUCK IT HAS WORKED FOR ME N FAMILY N FRIRNDS
    fastfurniture

Answer by fastfurniture at 12:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• When my first born was that age and had crazy fevers, I used to take him to the ER. On your insurance card or from your doc, there should be an emergency number you can call an on call doc or nurse practitioner. Or call your local hospital to make an advice call. The thing about babies is that when they are sick, it always gets worse at night and that makes for a rough night for you especially if you are worried about him. Also, how accurate of a reading are you getting from the therm? The temp can vary 2 degrees for home therm's so you never really know, you have to use your arm and your judgment. But like I said, with my first I was always better safe than sorry.A flu at that age can be dangerous, but usually recoverable. Keep posting
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You take cloth(like a baby washcloth or something) and cut it into 2 pieces. Soak each piece in egg whites until they are fully soaked(doesn't take long if you keep pressing on them) Place them on the bottom of your child's feet and place a pair of socks over them. After about 10 minutes or so check his temp, it should be down by now. Just keep the socks and cloth on there. Let him sleep in them if you want. In 20 minutes my son's fever went from 103.7 to 99.8. It sounds crazy but it works. It takes the heat from the brain where it can do damage to the feet where it can do no harm. Good Luck!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 12:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Also, you dont want to put him into anything too cold...it shocks the system.
    Try a cool, not cold just cool, rag on the forehead....and remember you are adding to his body warmth with yours..so dont put on too many layers
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• to Justins mom..his temp is 101.1..and probaly a few points higher..my thermometer is stupid lol..and it doesnt blink or beep..it just stops rising when its done..and after 2 minutes it was still rising rapidly it shot up to 101.1 in like a minute..and thats when i took it out..i should of waited..hes back to sleep now..I think im just going to check his temp later and see where its at and then cal lhis pedi in the morning..idont wanna take him to the ER unless it hits like 102.1 or something that high..im just freaking out lol..first baby!! im always freaking :D
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Worry about 102, but otherwise you should be ok. Babies tend to be warmer than 98.6 anyway, so don't worry too much unless he starts showing other symptoms.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• What ever you do do not rub alcohol on him. this will cause him to shiver and will make the fever worse. My mom-in-law did this to my son when she was watching him one day . my son fever spiked to 103.5 and I had to rush him to the ER.
    Try what these other moms have suggested. I am really interested by the egg thing.
    friskie21

Answer by friskie21 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• call the hospital to tell them this story and ask them what u should do, ive had to do that many times
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Thanx everyone..like i said before im just gonna wait it out..and if it reaches 102...then im call the paramedics,..or if its later enough in the morning when it ahppens im take him to his pedi..(Arg!! lol life as a new mom and a college student is hetic..im never gonna sleep again in my life :)..) but again THANK YOU ALL!! you have helped me stop freaking the heck out ..and im off to bed now..
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2008