Does every mother know when your "done"?

DH and I have been talking about adding baby number 3 to our family, we have a 3 year old and a 15 month old. We are planning on waiting 6 months or so to start ttc. When DD hit about 14-15 months I started getting "baby fever", and a few month after that we started ttc our son. I am just wondering if this a stage all mothers go through after EVERY baby or if this is really my heart telling me I want another child? So, did you know when your family was "done" or is it something you have to make your self comfortable with?

(I would like a lot of different opinions so bumps please)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I've always heard tht when you know, you know. I KNOW I am not done. I've got 2 and right now when we are out in public and I spot a baby I start practically drooling over it lol.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I can not say. But I am not done, I know that much.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I honestly don't know either. Every day its a different answer for me. Dh wants another one, we have a 5 yr old girl and a 9 yr old boy (my stepson) and some days i really want another one and others I am completely done having kids.
    Melissa_anne

Answer by Melissa_anne at 5:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• For me there was several different reasons I stopped at 2.

I had 2 girls and wanted a boy. That every one knows is not a 100% guaranteed to have the sex you want. If I could not have a boy I did not want to try.

Financially I did not want anymore.  Kids are expensive.

Answer by louise2 at 5:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I definitely knew I was done after #2; there was absolutely no question about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think so! I am not one and we have 5 kiddos...ages 8,5,4,1 and 3 monthes, and I had an appointment to get my tubes done, and simpl couldnt! I believe that when you are "done" you wont have any doubts! Good luck mama!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ater our first, I knew I wanted another. After our second, I knew I wanted another. After two consecutive miscarriages, I just felt that I was supposed to have one more. We had our third and he is a year old now. I have no desire to have more. Even seeing babies or cute clothes, I do not have that "pull" to have more. I always thought I would have four but there is no doubt...I am DONE!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son is four, my only child, and I often get "baby" fever. But our next child, should we decide to expand our family, is not going to be a baby. We are parents through adoption. I work in a medical clinic and see babies all day long and I get that funny little itch to add to our family. Sometimes it is very strong. But I also think of the reality of what it takes to be a parent to the child we have, the health issues, our finances, are life we currently created, our careers....the big picture from all angles. While that fever is strong I have the ability to also use my head and not just my heart. If my heart lead the way I would have a football team.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am done...I have a 17 year old and an 8 year old....I had a miscarriage in August and I don't think I could ever go through that again!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Baby hunger is normal. But you cannot base your decisions merely on that biological imperative to reproduce your genes. You have to look at ALL of it.

I had baby hunger but ignored it because the timing was completely wrong. And for us, that was the best outcome. We were done at one and are perfectly happy with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011