Am I the only one who gets a little depressed when my kids get another year older?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 4:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• my dh and i both get a little upset, but we are also excited because we can do more with ds now that he's 3. but i keep telling dh "ok, we can hit the pause button now. he's potty trained and can talk decently, so its time for him to stop getting bigger" lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No! I get so sad. I miss the baby year just cuddling for hours. :(
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Just wait till they become adults!!!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I was totally opposite. I was happy.

Answer by louise2 at 5:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i get sad too!
    my youngest is 9 months, and every milestone is bittersweet for me!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I always get a bit sad and weepy yes but also very proud of them and the people they're becoming.

Actually when I was putting up my 2011 calendar I was writing my family's birthday's and everything and when I wrote "Amber and Autumn 12th B-day" (twins) I felt like I couldn't breathe for a second and then burst into tears. I'm not usually such a mess though ha-ha.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 8:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• NOPE! That is why w have 5 kids..... JK Not really but I do miss when they are pst tat fat baby stage!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not depressed. Reflective - yes - but not sad.

I have friends that lost a child. When mine get a year older, it's a reminder to be grateful we all survived another year and have a new stage to look forward too. Sure, some years are easier to bid farewell to than others. My oldest will be entering his "last year in single digits" this summer. That's an odd circumstance to approach, sort of - remembering him as an infant and now here's this kid who is just one year away from never seeing single digits again. Wow. Time has flown. BUT, I don't regret the passing and I don't get sad about it. It is what it is. I rejoice in having a tomorrow and a new year. That said, I do ask him to stop growing before he's taller than me and he, like a good kid, refuses. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i cry every year on my sons birthday because i cant believe how big he is getting and how old he is getting....i cry every year my daughter's birthday and angel day come around (R.I.P. Baby Girl,mommy and bubby miss you more than you could ever know)......its hard because with my son im crying happy tears,but with with my daughter im crying because im sad and my son knows why im crying so he starts crying as well.....but to answer you question mama,you are not the only one who gets emotional when the little one gets another year older......my son is going to be 5 this month,less than 2 weeks away and he knows it is almost that time.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Conflicted. Happy they're a year older, sad that they're a year older. They just grow up so darn fast.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011