Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to I start for my son who may have Cereral Palsy?

My son who it now 3 may have CP and I don't know what to do next or if I'm doing enough. What is the next step?

Answer Question

Asked by floyd835 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Cerebral Palsy - My Child's Story - Some Facts and Misconceptions ...

    My son had Cerebral Palsy. It was a mild case; but he did have it in all four .... The more I read the more I think he very well may have been born with it. ... -

    Answer by vbruno at 12:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • Cerebral Palsy Questions and Answers - Cerebral Palsy Questions

    A parent or parents who have cerebral palsy cannot pass it to their childen. .... This may help your son deal with his anger and frustration. ...

    Answer by vbruno at 12:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • Do you have him in any kind of physical therapy? Your ped should be able to refer you to a therapist. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • What have you done so far? Has your son been receiving EI services and are they the ones who are saying possible CP? If so, then you need to contact your pediatrician & get a referral to a neurologist or physiatrist who will determine if it is CP & tell you where to go from there (eg...therapies, equipment, bracing, other services). If your son was receiving EI services, has he now been transitioned to the school district (from age 3 the local SD is responsible for providing services to your child)? If not, you need to contact your local special education dept. (in writing!) & request that your child be evaluated for services. There is so much more, but w/o really know what you have already done, this is all I can tell you for now.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • A neurologist is who diagnosed my son. Has your son seen one?


    Answer by CrankyHag at 8:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • At the age of 3 your school district is required to provide services under IDEA. You need to contact your neighborhood school and make a request for an evaluation if you have not done so. Then the most important thing is to follow through. If he qualifies for physical therapy, speech-language therapy, or occupational therapy you want to be involved in working on goals for him so he can be sucessful! Good Luck!! There are also often local support group.

    Answer by mrsjvz2 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • It must be so scary. My son is in the process of having his lab work tested for genetic disorders that include mental retardation and severe behavior issues. I am just terrified, for me and for my child. It is heart breaking and so horrible waiting to know something. The best suggestion I can give you is to slow it down. Take a breath. Collect your thoughts and get them and your questions organized. Then you and your husband should meet with the professionals working with your child to explain what his diagnosis means, how it effects him currently, and what are some of his immediate needs. Then you can move on to what can you expect his disorder to look like in the future. Take it one step, one moment at a time. If you look too far ahead then it will just overwhelm you to paralysis. At least that was how it was for me.

    Answer by frogdawg at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.