Do you believe that The United States of America was founded in Christianity?

Please state your opinion of the following excerpt-

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No, I believe it was founded as an ideal. As a place of freedom. Religious and personal freedom.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• – collapse

This question again you're as boring as the fundis who keep posting the "so what did you do for Jesus today? " or " How you witness?" etc.

daps

Answer by daps at 7:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Daps, this is a common statement among the christian community. I asked for opinions regarding an excerpt from a historical document. I even provided a link to it for anyone who is inclined to read it in it's entirety.

I believe the age old saying applies here in the new age of electronics, so I will edit to make applicable; "It is better not to type, and permit yourself to be perceived as a fool than it is to type and confirm it".
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with the first poster...we were founded on an idea.

The Pledge was written as "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1923 "my Flag" to be changed to "the Flag of the United States"

The words "under God" wasn't added until 1951.

The US is 'suppose' to be a place of freedom. Doesn't matter what your person religion is.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ha! When I first saw this question I was about to use the Treaty of Tripoli as an early example specifically stating that it was NOT founded on Christianity. So, obviously, no I don't believe it was founded on Christianity, but there seems to be a lot of people who want to believe that's true.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No. The U.S. was founded as a secular nation, and our founders took care to make sure that it was not based on any religion. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• America was founded by Christians as well as a few deists, for those who are Christians their beliefs permeate every aspect of their lives so there are ideals in the law that are Christian based, ideals in the bill of rights that is Christian based. And America has a strong back ground of the majority of its inhabitants for most of its existence being Christians.
    JoyfulJ

Answer by JoyfulJ at 8:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• joy, would you care to provide examples of that extreme claim?
    You did, after all, enter a debate forum. Making sweeping statements without proof is unadvised.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I believe it was founded on the idea of freedom of religion- some founders were Christian, some were not. I believe that the fact we fuss and fight over religion and actually have the freedom to do so is the basis of what the FF were talking about. The freedom to be able to debate religion-the freedom to disagree-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with previous posters in saying that we were not founded in Christianity, but instead on the concepts of personal freedom.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2011