Crib Bumpers - Yeah or Nay

So we have our crib up and assembled now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We went and got all our crib bedding and have that all assembled too and it looks so dang cute.

But my question is about the bumpers. Do you use them???

With the set we got the ties are kinda too short to really tie around the sides of the crib. You can't get a bow on em just one tie over. Is this safe? Should we forgo the bumpers?

Help? New with all this stuff!

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 7:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did have them for my kids but, honestly, they are not necessary. I thought I read recently that the recommendation is to avoid them altogether?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I used bumpers with both my children. Helps keep feet and arms from getting stuck in the crib.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I thought you couldn't use them because of suffocation. We always used them for when the crib was not being used, i.e. the baby was still in our room (for months and months ... eek) and then as soon as we put them in their own room to sleep we would stow the bumper away.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree that crib bumpers are very cute and I have heard the controversy around them. But I did use them. My only complaint was that they made it difficult to change the sheets. especially in the middle of the night when there was a diaper leakage.

cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 7:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I've used bumpers for all my babies. What's the point of a crib bedding set with out the bumpers right? But just make sure you tie them tight, I know it's not enough to make a cute bow, but I'm sure they make them that length for safety reasons as well. Also, tightly tuck the bottom of the bumper in between the mattress and railings so it's snug. Once baby starts rolling around and getting bigger remove them.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 7:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I used them, especially when my babies would roll...sometimes they'd roll and bump their heads on the bumpers. You could forgo them if you want.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yep I always used them. At first you dont really need them, but once they start rolling around they are good to have. I just put them up from the look & to get them used to them being there.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I use them. Right now it still works great when we open the door and the lights on in the hallway. It wont shine right in her face and wake her up! I tried not using them with my son around 15 months and he kept getting his legs stuck!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I used them but I got the breathable bumpers. They are mesh and when the face is smashed up to them, you can breath thru them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• we use them, but our kids dont sleep in a crib alone ( as in their own room) unti at least 6 monthes! Before that is a bassinet or a laypen in our room!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011