OnStar?

For those who have/had it, is it worth the amount they want for how much you actually use it and for the peace of mind it offers?

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 8:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Technology

• I had it for about a year - there were parts of it that were nice but one day they called me on it and told me exactly where I was, the direction and speed I was driving.... it was a little too freaky and I didn't renew it. LOL
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I won't get it. I can see benefits of it, but my dad is a locksmith and he's had quite a few phone calls from OnStar customers who locked their keys in their vehicle - OnStar touts it's ability to unlock your vehicle no matter where, but they don't say that they can only do it if the vehicle is sitting out in the open somewhere. If it's in your garage, or a parking garage, or under a huge cluster of trees even, they can't do it, and you end up spending money for a locksmith to come do it (though some insurances will reimburse you, not all will, and some locksmiths charge hundreds of dollars - my dad charges a measly $40 though). So...if you're a chronic key-locker-inner, it might not be worht it, but if it'll help your peace of mind, it might.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I seriously don't see how people lock their keys in their car this day and age. Anyways. OnStar was not really worth it for me but if you travel a lot I would recommend it. I mainly drive my car a max of ten miles a day, so it is not worth it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2011