No green thumb

i want to plant flowers aaround my front porch this spring, i am not good with plants and such. i have planted flowers before and it didnt work for some reason so what would be a good plant or flower for me that is "fool" proof. should i buy seeds and plant them or should i buy flowers. and when should i plant? i live in pa so who knows when the last frost will be or what ever. i just want to be prepared i really want to do this and make it work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would suggest planting annuals in late may. Ask a few neighbors what grows well in their flowerbeds, or ask someone at the nursery when you go to buy the plants.
    ask around with all the people you know who does have a green thumb. I've never met a gardener who wasn't more than happy to teach someone how to do it correctly. Maybe they can help you with perennials that you'll enjoy every year without worry.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• what type of climate do you live in? As long as you water them regularly, they should grow. Most people forget to water regularly & that is the main reason for lacking a green thumb.

I say do annuals also.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• First off you need to look at any flower youre getting and look at the almanac to see if its time to plant them. If it isnt they wont last. I usually go to walmart and buy flowers in pots for replanting that come for not so much (like $2.50). I cant remember what they are called but someone in gardening can help you choose a fool proof plant/flower. I also do Sunflowers and plant those with the kids they are pretty easy. I also have done Freesia, they basically grow like wild around my area. I do daisies also very easy.

Once your ready though make sure you get some soil with nutrients & atleast run a rake through. You have to mix in good soil with what you have, not just plant. Then plant them and use miracle grow.

Answer by gemgem at 9:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Hmm... PA... Dusty Millers, poppies, zinnias, all of the pansy family, straw flowers, ornamental cabbages, and even flowering herbs would do well. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I say plant annuals around May. We usually do ours Memorial day weekend. No one can kill impatiens! They are beautiful and can be planted in shade or sun as long as you water them. Also, geraniums are good annuals but don't forget to dead head them to keep them sprouting new buds regularly.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Oh and get them in plant form already started not seeds that will take forever and don't do so good. Good luck have fun!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Impatiets ( buy a flat should be between $10-$15 ) do well in shady areas, petunias will do well in full sun. Both will spread out with lots of blooms. Dusty miller is a nice accent and contrast for both. I have planted it in sun and shade and it did well in both. Last year I bought 3 flats of dusty miller from Lowes at about 3.50 a flat and added it to all of my beds. Never underestimate an accent plant, they showcase your blooms. Whenever you buy plants look for buds NOT blooms, turn it upside down and remove from container to check the roots, you want it to be young not root bound. Also check for root rot or dry rot.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• any plan, make sure you dig deep enough, and by them already grwn, thenmake sure you place top soil on top, and a fertilizer stick in the ground next to it, and water them at least once a ay, I recommend twice! GOOD LUCK!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011