EAT CHILD!!! EAT!!!!

I cannot get my 3 going on 4 year old to eat anything other than fruit, jelly bread, cereal, and apple sauce.
He use to eat soooo much and soooo well, now he spits EVERYTHING out and claims that is gonna make him puke. He sometimes makes himself gag on it. What do I do?? Let him eat what he wants or tell him eat your dinner or starve?

MelissaAnn224

Asked by MelissaAnn224 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Same here. My daughter eats cereal for dinner almost every night. I'm done worrying about it. She'll live.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Cereal cannot be a sugar cereal. Must be whole grain.

Jelly bread must also have peanut butter.

How about grilled cheese sandwich?

I would just worry about the calcium and protein.

Almonds?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• At that age, my kids either ate what I fixed them or they went hungary, it was no skin off my back
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I do sometime put peanut butter on it and he likes rice crispies, he's not crazy about nuts. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking that they don't have to eat what I make for dinner.... Is that bad..... I sometime do feel like giving in and letting him have cereal every night but I hate that he wins the battle. I also have a 5 year old that did the same thing but I won that battke now he's a great eater ( or he just wasn't as stubborn) I don't want to make him think that I am easier on his younger brother and believe me, he would call me out real quick! This kid has them memory of an elephant. lol
    MelissaAnn224

Comment by MelissaAnn224 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• stick to what she likes and then supplement with pediasure ( only one maybe two a day)
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• my ds was doing that for a while but after 3 or 4 days of not eatting dinner and being put to bed early when he wouldnt and not getting breakfast asap when he woke up put a change to that. if ds doesnt eat the night before i make him wait about an hr before i make breakfast because i dont want him in the habit of eatting a huge breakfast and lunch then no diner. a chid will NOT starve themselves to death.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have a bell on my table. A small one. Every time it rings my four year old takes a bite. We serve our food and rong the bell when he has to take a bite. At each meal is something he can do and likes along with things that he does not like and he is uncomfortable. We serve very small portions so eventually he does have to take a bite of what he is not fond of. If he takes a bite each time the bell rings he gets a prize. And he tries to ding the bell before we do. Prizes are never food/desert. Last night he ate and he ate it all without even trying to ring the bell. He realized only after that he didn't use it - and got a small prize for eating his dinner on his own. I always make this suggestion to other parents who report back it works wonders. Your job to provide the food - a kid's job to eat. You can use aclittle fun motivation but beyond that...no worries.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• By the way - the prize is at the end of the meal. Not between each bite.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think anything besides" here's ur food now eat or starve" is rediculous.

In my house I'm the adult and kids do what I say or they suffer.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Let him eat what he wants. Hee-hee...of course I've been known to pack him a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, then go to Sonic to eat a hamburger in front of him. That let him know it was okay to eat what he wanted. I mean lets face it, you go to a restaurant and both you and your husband or eating something different, right? When he's ready, he'll take his menu and pick something else to eat.

Oh...I also play at the table by making up stories such as he is a dinosaur and must eat the trees (broccoli). Next he's an alligator and is sunning himself on the beach (meat), better hide before dino sees him. OH NO, dino ate the alligator's foot (usually he has a piece of meat at this time heading to is mouth). Winter is coming (mash potatoes)...will dino survive?

I've been playing this trick for years...worked with picky eating relatives. Now my son loves it so much, he makes up stories too.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 1:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2011