Why am I STILL sorE?

I have been working out every other day at the gym, not really over-doing it. I was pretty much not exercising for a few months AT ALL before then, and about a month and a half ago I went to the gym, like I said every other day. It seems that no matter what I do... 20 minutes on a bike, 10 minutes walking on a treadmill, crunches, weights.... it doesn't matter, I'm miserable from the next day soreness, sometimes it can last 3-4 days. I used to build up a tolerance to this but not so much now. I alternate what I do in the gym, and what days i work different areas so not to overdo it, I'm only 22, not old enough to have these issues, what is wrong with me? This has been going on for 7 weeks now....
I'm doing atkins if it matters.....

misskrissie

Asked by misskrissie at 9:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Take a day and instead of working out, do an hour of stretching. I started p90x at home last week and I was so sore after the 3rd day that I did the stretching video on the 4th day and by day 6 I was better. Good luck!
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Are you warming up before and after? Stretching the muscles you are using after?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 4:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Make sure you're warming up before and stretching well after. Also, make sure you're moving some the next day - go for a walk anything to keep your muscles warm - nothing strenuous. It may hurt at first, but the pain should subside. I run long distances (10+ miles) on Sundays and I find when I do my grocery shopping after, I'm a lot less sore after a leisurely walk through the store when my run was tough and I was stiff.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Warm up with stretches before and after. Make sure you're getting enough protein. Protein causes a chemical reaction that helps soothe muscles when working out.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Are you warming up and stretching before and after?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Alkalete ~ it has been a life saver!!  Check it out at http://www.blastforfun.com/  I have been taking it for a while now and started working out ~ again!  The stiffness/soreness has greatly diminished and I find I can work out longer and harder.  Definitely worth checking out!!

jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 7:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2011