Would you stop talking to mil if you found out everything you tell her on the phone gets repeated to her daughter?

Now that mil had made up with ther daughter after a long spat, she repeats everything I tell her to her daughter! The daughter will see me and after saying hello will repeat word for word all the info I told mil. Then she will also have her daughter ask me if I am going back to help my mom with careegiving instead of mil asking me. I am so sick of her bs. We do not talk much on the phone anymore and I do not miss it, because sure enough whatever youtell her even if it is about her gay niece she will have her daughter asking me like I am on the stand on trial. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• You know what you say will be repeated, so only tell her things that you feel should be public knowledge.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i would not stop talking to her
    but i would
    stop telling her anything that i did not want repeated
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would stop telling her information that I didn't want spread around.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Learned long ago to watch what we tell her very carefully. Even more so now that she is starting to show early signs of dementia, even what you do say to her often comes out like something from that old Telephone game.

My MIL talks to her daughters multiple times a day, the only contact we have with her is when DH calls her once a week. It is just the way things are, she is very close with her daughters and I for one am glad, means we do not have to be involved (their choice not ours) as things start to decline with my In-laws.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Don't discuss anything with your mil that you don't want everyone else to know.
    I have reduced conversations with my mil to my kid's achievements.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would quit telling her things that I did not want repeated -- OR -- tell her something crazy and totally off the wall so that they both will look insane when they repeat it and/or question you about it. EXAMPLE -- to MIL -- "I am thinking of starting a crocodile breeding program that may make me ALOT of money -- then I will sell the crocs after they are trained to walk on a leash, to a national animal show--- haha. Then you can look at them all like they are crazy when they repeat it:-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• well if you dont want your mother in law to say everything you talk about with other people then dont tell stuff that would get you mad just dont call her anymore just ignore her im sorry that your mother in law is treating you like this i hope everything works out for you
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'd stop talking to my mil. She has already done it thats why its a hi how are you. She trys get info out of me all the time
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i would expect my mil to tell her daughter everything. they are best friends!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• my mil lives next door but I do not see her that often. But when I do speak to her it as if a parrot is attached to her shoulder because it is word per word and then some of the telephone game app added on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011