Can anyone help me?

My 9 year old son has been acting out lately and I am wondering if he is having some mental problems. Not matter what is said or done he still acts the same ways. Any advice?

lele10000

Asked by lele10000 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Without out an example I'm not sure we can help but if you think it's a mental issue then get him to a child psychologist and have him tested

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Without knowing exactly what the issues are... as a basic guide... try talking to him about his actions and why he's doing them- (how/what is he feeling when it happens). It is frustrating as a kid to not feel in control of things so they usually act out in other ways. Without getting mad, the next time he acts up, ask him what's going on... how he is feeling. If it is angry... ask him why. Talk with him and ask questions so he feels understood. If he is stubborn, it might take a while for him to open up. But he will if he feels he won't get in trouble for being honest about his feelings. "Talking" is key- no raised voices. If things start getting heated, just say... "I think we neeed to take a break and think about what we've told each other. Can we talk again at ... o'clock" and follow through. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    SCMomKatie

Answer by SCMomKatie at 1:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• without more information to go on the only thing that can be said is try talking to him and keep the lines of communication open at all times; at this age they are testing us as parents and we have to let them know we are there for them and love them and sometimes we tell them no for a reason other then that you can always talk to his doctor and see what they say
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2011