I am very interested in homeschooling my six year old daughter myself.

She is very smart (Iknow everyone says that) but she is always sick and therefore missing school. I really want to get more info on homeschooling, such as requirements, curriculum, etc,please provide as much info as you can, and maybe I can convince her dad that homeschool is the right choice for her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• isn't that ripoff expensive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Where do you live? The link below will direct you to the agency in your state for homeschooling.

http://www.eho.org/support/united_states.asp

I homeschooled my three sons. We started out with ABEKA and when my younger two entered high school, we went with AMERICAN SCHOOL.

http://www.abeka.com/

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Have fun with it and good luck!

Kat / Naturescape.biz
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 1:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• There's always an ignorant anon, lol.

Anyways, I'm homeschooling my 4 and 5 year olds right now. You need to check out your state's homeschool requirements to get started. You can google those. That will give you a starting point.

With homeschooling, you don't need to buy into a prepackaged curriculum like some people do...there's nothing wrong with it, it's just really expensive. I created my own curriculum (going by the national standards) and pulled my kindergartener's curric together for about $75 this year. Some people homeschool for even less using free internet sites and the library, it can be done!

There are a lot of different styles of homeschooling...

Check out the Happy Homeschooler's group here on CafeMom...they'll help out with all sorts of things :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've been homeschooling 6 years. For anon, no, it's not expensive, nor a rip-off. I saw a post earlier today where a woman said she was spending $600 a year to send her two kids to PUBLIC school. I spend less than half that.

Google your state laws. Go to the library and check out all the books they carry on homeschooling. There are many different styles, choices, and curriculum.

The previous poster has good advice, join Happy Homeschoolers on CafeMom. You can get tons of information from that group.

Good luck!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Anonymous isn't that ripoff expensive?

WTF?

another "brave" HS critic . . .

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• You can look into the laws for your state at HSLDA.org. Homeschooling is a fantastic alternative if you have concerns about your daughter's health. There are so many support groups/co-ops now that the days of the kids being 'un-socialized' are long gone! Good luck with making your choice!
    Our2miracles

Answer by Our2miracles at 1:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• can someone tell me if it is legal in north carolina to ( say) you are a non-schooler?
    mampm

Answer by mampm at 2:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• do you mean unschooler?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008