HELLO THIS IS PROUDMOM1103 AND I HAVE A SON THAT JUST TURNED 1 AND I HAVE A PROBLEMOF LETTING GO ITS LIKE I STILL THINK OF HIM AS A LITTLE BABY STILL AND I DONT LET ANYONE DISCIPLINE HIM EXCEPT MEAND I ALWAYS MAKE EXCUSES FOR WHAT HE DOES IS THIS NORMAL FOR FIRST TIME MOMS IF SO WHAT CAN I DO TO CHANGE

PROUDMOM1103

Asked by PROUDMOM1103 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 13 year old was my first and ONLY child for ten years and I can tell you right now, that the more you smother and pamper them the more you have security problems in the long run. Allowing children at age of one to explore more and learn more independence is extremely important. My girl was happy and secure with me until she hit grade school things changed. I didn't realize it until later that she had insecurity problems (never being around or disciplined other than me). I would never let anyone physically correct any of my children though. ENJOY your first, let them explore, but be open to corrections because kids need discipline as much as love.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 9:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It's normal.
    But you do need to stop the excuses. It is very, very easy for "he's only 1" to turn into "he's still a kid". An excuse of "he's still learning what he can and can't do" as you haul him to his time out spot is fine. And yes, you need a time out spot. The "terrible two's" don't start when he's two. They start some time in the second year - the year he is in NOW. (Think of it this way - is this his 1st Christmas? No. He saw his first Christmas when he was 0 years old. He sees his 2nd Christmas when he is 1. This is his second year.)
    I've seen lots of questions from moms wondering why their sweet, loving baby suddenly turned into a raging, screaming monster overnight. Wondering what horrible illness the child could have. Wondering how to get that sweet baby back. Everyone of us that replies that the baby is gone for good - the toddler has arrived, bringing his taste of the teen years with him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I guess in some cases I am the same way - although my son was a HORRIBLE baby so I don't feel too guilty disciplining him because I realize that I cannot give him an Inch but I still dont like when any one other than me disciplines him - as for making excuses, I don't know if its that case - in a lot of cases he IS learning but he also needs to know NO and what he can and can't do
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008