Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Seriouse Question about a Death in the family

My mother in law passed away on v-day she left behind her 15 year old daughter,... who is now living with us.. but things financially wise are going to get tight we were told to apply for social security and relative care giving.. we have an appt on march 15th to get more info but has this happen to you or anyone do you know how much you would get in social and how much you would get for relative care giver?

Answer Question

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 13 (980 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • First of all, Im sorry to hear of your loss....Its hard to say, with never having to look into it. But something you can do is go to your local health department and they should be able to help you. She should also be able to get insurance through the state if she has none. Its a very noble thing you are doing, and I'm sure she will appreciate it later on in life. Best wishes to you and your family.

    Answer by katieandchris01 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • thank you, she is such a wonderful girl and has been threw a lot, but we are a younger couple and have a 5 year old so things were crazy already but its okay..... and thank you...

    Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • i'm sorry. i think it depends on each person. my step-sis's (at one time) mom died when she was 3. she got a check for like 700 every month. I think it all depends how much that person worked. but idk. I havent seen you on here in a long have you been other than this?

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • My condolences on your loss. Social security will pay benefits based on the parents working history she will be able to receive a Medicaid until she is 18. I pray that everything works out because it will be hard but better to be with people who love her then an group home. I also pray strength to all of you because this can be really difficult on all involved.

    Answer by karing4elmas at 10:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • Social security pays out survivor benefits. The amount is determined by how much your mother in law paid into the system before her death.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • God bless you for stepping up to the plate and caring for this dear child. yes, benefit amounts will depend on how much she paid in. is her father living? you should get child support if he is.....

    Answer by lillie70 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.