What is the worse thing you have ever done (or seen done) to a Substitute teacher?

I'm a sub ... I started after the my company folded almost a year ago. I have never had a problem but I live in a small town and know their parents tsk tsk

Next school year I may start subbing for other school districts so I am working 5 days a week and want to be prepared

jaw drop

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in

• In middle school we had a teacher (not a sub but still) and he was very old. His name was Mr. Edson. The kids would sit in the back of his class and throw spit balls at his head and board and theyd stick. He didnt notice because he was so old. One time they put a bumper sticker on his back that said "Ask he if I care" and all day he walked around with it on. The kids would ask him if he cared and he would say "Why yes, very much!" and never got why everyone was snickering.

Answer by gemgem at 10:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• we were nice to our subs. they were nice. the only thing we did naughty was to tell the sub that the teacher postponed a test so we could have more time to study for it.

the younger the class, the nicer you should be though. i don't know how other districts are, but in our district the teachers can pick which subs they want to use first. one sub last year was strict and grumpy, and she never came back after the kids complained. the next sub was nice and freindly, and she was the sub most of the time the rest of the year.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I was a bit of a rebel in middle school. I went to a private Christian school, and I was just finding that I could do things on my own, without them being approved by someone else. I had been acting out regularly, and I decided it would be fun to lock the sub in the utility closet while she talked to another student about his behavior. I then locked the principal out of the class room when he came to see what was going on. I didn't get in any trouble, either- we were all acting up at that point. I eventually let him in and let the sub out. Don't feel bad, though- I did this to my regular teacher as well. I didn't treat the sub any different from my teacher. I'm definitely not proud of what I did, and I PRAY that my DDs are not like I was in school. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Depends on the age your subbing for. Older kids obviously could be cruel or act inappropriate at times if your attractive.....But I would just be nice but not too nice. Don't let everything slide. BUT no need to be super tough.. then the kids will be cruel. When I was a kid and we had a sub everyone was so happy to have that change and would plan at a certain time to cough or drop their pencil. Lol when your dealing with little kids silly things can happen but who knows :) Keep your cool. But personally I wouldn't scrub. I'm not saying you should dress into heels everyday but maybe casual clothing instead of a hoodie and sweats -_- Goodluck!
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 9:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i dont think we ever pulled pranks on the subs. we were so glad the real teacher wasnt there we were pretty good for the sub
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Are you sure you want to know? I remember when my 14 yr old was in Elementary school. She came home and told me some kids put cough medicine in one of the teachers coffee. She was allergic to the stuff. I'm not sure how the kids knew she was allergic though. The teacher ended up leaving. That was pretty bad. I guess I wouldn't leave my coffee sitting around for someone to spike it.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• sorry ask me if I care not ask he if I care

• In middle school, some of the students sprayed perfume around a sub because she was complaining about the smell bothering her. Come to find out she was highly allergic to perfume!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I subbed b4 getting my job...the worst thing in elementary school was all the kids would try to tell you how to do everything. When I subbed in the highschool I had a podium thrown at me. When I subbed in the middle school I had terrible terrible things done to me.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• MommyH2, that is horrible! Like I said in our school district it is small and at the elementary and Jr. High in town I have had no problem. Even the day i subbed at the high school, no biggy (my daughter is a senior there and well liked), BUT there are 3 more school districts close enough that if I wanted to guarantee working full time as a sub next year I could apply to those too. One is rural just like our area but 2 are city districts. (my kids were in the one of the districts for 4 years, so I am not unfamiliar with it) . Your experience is the reason I have been reluctant to apply .
    pammomof9

Comment by pammomof9 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011