What can I do?--sorry long

My 9 year old brought a paper home on Monday stating that he needed some pictures of him doing certain things; it is not due till March 9th but he keeps hounding me and shoving the paper in my face like I don't know about it and it is getting frustrating.

I told him we would look for them this weekend and he would have them by Monday, but he still insists on shoving the paper in my face or saying something about it everyday and this morning he got really nasty with me and demanded that I have the pictures on the desk this afternoon when he got home from school.

How would you handle this and what would you do? Please be nice and no bashing.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• well the pictures wouldnt be there when he got home and when he said something i would remind him that you told him you would do it this weekend,and if he wants to keep hounding you about it and being nasty that you just wont do it at all. hope things get better
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I wouldnt have any pictures waiting for him when he gets home. Let him know that mom doesnt appreciate how he was talking to her this morning. Explain to him that you know it's important that he gets it done....and let him know you are willing to help, but him talking to you like that certainly isn't going to make you move any faster. Then after he gets your point, let him know that it would be nice for you both to look through the pics together.... good luck
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Sounds like he might be anxious about the assignment and getting it done on time. It doesn't mean that his behavior is acceptable however. If it was my child I would have the photo albums laid out for him when he gets home. I would tell I did not appreciate the way he talked to me and in fact it made very angry that he thought it would be okay to act that way. I would remind him that I told him it would work on it together, but its obvious he wants it down before then. Then I would point to the photo albums and let him know he can start the assigment himself and if he wants my help over the weekend he can apologize to me.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Aw he seems really excited about it. Maybe old friends in his classroom already have theirs and he's just really anxious. Another thing is teachers do really emphasize getting projects done early. They always say "don't waste last minute" , "the earlier it gets done, the better". But if you have nothing else to do maybe you should look through some old pictures and at least have a few when he gets home just so he knows his project is getting started. Then explain that you two could look through some more together. If you really want you can just tell him mommy had other really important things to do but it will get done. But I think at least giving him a few will help :) Good luck
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He's 9? I'd suggest that he do it himself or WAIT until you have the time this weekend. I'd also strongly remind him who the parent is and make sure he understood the word RESPECT. I'm NOT bashing just telling you how I think I would handle this. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He is just excited about it. If you have photo albums I would give them to him to look at in front of you during homework time and have him start deciding what he wants. It is after all his home work project. I always have my kids help choose photos for assignments like that. If he finds any he can use then take them out and put them to the side. Then tell him you will have to do the rest when you said you could do it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Maybe he's frustrated that he has to depend on someone else to get an assignment done?
    Have you ever said you'd do something then waited to the last minute and had to scramble, or not done it on time?
    He may be afraid that is what is going to happen, and he doesn't want to be the kid that doesn't bring in the pics on time??
    Maybe you have to see it from his point of view before you can understand why he's acting this way. Might help you deal with the situation better??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Take the time and get the pictures NOW. He is excited about doing his project and homework and that is a GOOD thing. He is not being disrespectful, doesn't need to be shown who is the boss. He needs to see that you are excited about his homework too. That you want him to succeed and NOT wait until the last minute. Since when is a child WANTING to get his homework done, a bad thing? Just WOW!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It is his assignment,make him do the work!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2011