I am 34 weeks pregnant and need a molar extracted, is it safe to have? will my baby be ok?

I have been having an on and off pain going this molar, well im now 34 weeks pregnant and I cant stand it anymore, I am losing sleep, I cant eat, I get into bad moods, cause its so painful and I have an almost 2 year old active daugther whom I have care for and its hard sometimes with all this pain I feel.I have seen 2 diffrent dentist and they both told me I need to get it pulled before it causes an infection and that is more harmful to the baby. On Sunday I went into the ER cause of the pain, and the ER doctor told me the same thing, that what was I waiting for? That I needed to get it pulled ASAP! My husband and I are worried, we dont want it to affect the baby.

Kandis20

Asked by Kandis20 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your dr about this...they generally use an easy form of anesthetic, which should wear off within 2 hours or so. Belive me, it will be worth it to just get it done. You have a very special moment about to happen again for you and you dont want to be side tracked due to this toothache. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you will heal, and the pain will be gone! Good luck!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• you NEED to your doc about this!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It is novacaine they use!! Perfectly safe!! Just call your doctor and ask! Dentists can see u the same day!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would wait if I were you, you only have 6 weeks left (give or take)
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks guys! I have been reading up like crazy, this whole situation has me stressed, but I have read so many comments where pregnant woman have had them pulled and their babies were born just fine... I rather have it pulled, then keep my baby on vicodine for a month... which is what they prescribed for pain, but even that pill has no effect on my pain...I have my appt at 11:00 today... please keep me in your prayers! We really want everything to come out perfect with my pregnancy!
    Kandis20

Comment by Kandis20 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If I remember right, it is safe to get Novocain in the second trimester but not the first or last. It would really be something to ask you ob/gyn because all of them have different views on this. I had to have oral surgery but had to wait until I had the baby. GL :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I had one pulled while prego and my baby boy was just fine. My gums swell and my teeth go into distress mode when pregnant. I spent every other week at the dentist when I was pregnant with my last baby. They will help you through it!
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I had one done when I was 4 months pregnant. No issues. Masde me alot happier. Don't suffer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thank you all for your quick responce! You all have been of great help and encouragment
    Kandis20

Comment by Kandis20 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree that it's much safer to have it done, then to risk infection. You can have it done awake, with just local anesthestic if you prefer, but I believe the anesthesia is safe too, if you go that route. It's not unheard of for a pregnant woman to need surgery of some kind, and they would need anesthesia for surgery so, I would think they might have an OB present or an OB input at least.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011