Jr High "going together" or "dating" or whatever

My 9th grader is "going with" a 7th grader ... it kind of creeps me out. The school is 7-9 and she is adorable. Jack is not yet 15 (he is a summer baby) and she has been 13 for a few months so I guess the grade thing shouldn't bother me but it does.

What do you think?

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Going around lol I loved that stage. I wouldnt worry because it isnt like they are actually dating. They seem to change out bf and gfs once a week at that age anyway. I didnt really start getting concerned until mine started asking to go on dates outside of school.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Too young!!! A 9th grader and 7th grader have different ideas about things.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• lol well lucky for you mom, they are young....and odds are it wont last long....its pretty common now days to date someone in a different grade....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• meh. There is only a year difference in their age. Sounds fun. Talk to your son about being respectful to girls and make sure he knows about condoms. yup, they start this young.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 10:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i don't think its any big deal. they aren't actually 'going out' at her age. it may be a passing fancy..and it may not. just go with it, and use this innocent time to caution/teach her about being a lady, before she gets everything thrown in her face and has to make snap decisions.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with dancer a 7th grader is to young for a 9th grader i can understand if they were in the same grade you daughter should be with someone her grade level and age .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I dont think the number of years is a big problem except for the fact that she is so young! What do you mean when you say they are together? I think it is no big deal if they just sit together at school and talk on the phone. Your son should learn to interact with girls and maybe he is less intimidated by her because she is younger? I dont think they should go out places together or go to each others houses unless you confirm with her parents that they are ok with thier young daughter seeing him. Make sure she isnt sneaking around to see him or you could wind up in trouble....she is rather young.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I dont think I would talk to him about condoms yet....he is still young enough that you may be able to moniter him enough and encourage him enough that he will wait. He is only 14! And she just turned 13, so she was just 12!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't know if I would want my 9th grade son "dating" a seventh grader. Its a little different if 9th is still Jr high in your town. Here jr high is 7th and 8th they start freshman year in 9th grade. I guess it's no different than a freshman going out with a junior. My daughter is an 8th grader and I don't think I would want her going out with a 10th grader.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Here 9th grade is HS and a 7th grader should be "dating".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011