What are the first signs of autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you call your child's name several times and he does not turn your way or look at you. My son has Autism and I was told that was one of the signs to look for.
    sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 2:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• There was just a report on methods of detecting autism by the first birthday...it had to do with the child tracking an item from the corner of the eye rather than focusing on it...I've been trying to find it but can't.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• well my friends son is autistic and hes very gifted!! he does every so well and at such an advanced state that we thought he was just a remarkable baby... at his 18 month check up the doctors told us that he was showing signs of autism... he was unresponsive when people said his name and he was always so focused on one thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• www.childbrain.com.....click on PDD. There's a questionnaire.
    In general: ignoring people, poor eye contact, 'in their own world', repetitive movements, hard to transition, fixating on small moving parts of things, not playing appropriately, repeating words, phrases with no meaning behind it. May not like to be held, cuddled. Sensitive to touch, light , sound, clothes. These are just some indicators.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• one thing i'll say, there are experts who can help and a large list of criteria that is typically met before a child can be considered to be on the autism spectrum, but, for me, i always say "trust your gut." as a parent, you know your child bette than anyone, and if you just feel that things aren't right, take your child in for an eval with intervention services as soon as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• do you think your child is doing something 'abnormal"? many times my son who is 10 months does something and I think "is that normal"?. Anyway I think eye contact is not there nor smiles when a child is ausitic. You might want to just list the symptoms and many Moms here will tell you hey my baby did that or my baby did not do that but did xyz. Anyway here is a site I found.

http://autism.about.com/
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2008