What would you do?

My 8 year old has been asking me to buy her depil silk. I've told her she's too young and she doesn't need to worry about that yet and that the product is intended for grown up mommies. I will say that she is a little hairier than average and her hair is dark. I'm thinking one of her friends may have said something.

Since it's so upsetting to her and she's obviously feeling insecure would you help her remove her hair or help her accept herself as she is?

To be clear this isn't the type of thing I'd just purchase and give to her. If ( and it's a big if) I were to allow her to remove her hair I would do it for her.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she's hairy then you should want to make her feel better about herself. I would do it.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I didnt allow my dd to do anything like that, even just shave her legs until she was in middle school. I didnt think it was something she needed to worry about. And she did ask. I just told her she was too young to worry about grown up things like that and she needed to be a kid awhile longer.

Answer by gemgem at 10:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'd talk with her doctor. I'd also make sure she's not eating or drinking anything with hormones in it like meat, dairy and poultry.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• being different, at any age, is horrid. if removing extra bodyhair will make her feel better about her self-image, do it. what harm can come? certainly none that i can think of.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Bleaching it would probably be a good idea but she really is young. It doesn't help kids can be so cruel to on another as they get older. I'd say try to make her feel more comfortable about the hair... If that doesn't work maybe you bleach. Maybe waiting till middle school might be better, 8 is really young. But then again your choice. Don't let her feel too insecure :) GOodluck
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• At 8 I would probably not let her do it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

It's genetics. My husband and his side of the family are very hairy. Even at birth she was pretty hairy.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Try spraying her legs with Peroxide/water mix or straight. It highlights hair on your head, why not the legs? If she bathes every day, spray it every day for a while. It should lighten up in just a few days.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• before doing this, I'd think of the values that I would want to impart to my daughter. Do I really want to teach her to change herself to please others? Or to embrace her differences, accept herself and allow her to be a child. There is no reason for hair removal until she is older, and even then it's social thing.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 10:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would be sure that I discussed with her about who she is and let her know that people who love her love her for who she is and she is exactly how she should be. I would also be sure that she knew she should want to do these things for herself, not for other people My son had a birth mark that he wanted to have removed because kids made fun of him but I wouldn ot do it. I told him it was part of who he was and that God put it there because he wanted him to have it. However, I think hair is different and is something she will be taking off when she is older any way so I think I would do it if she really felt strongly about it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011