Would you stay at a waitress job you hated for the "benefits"?

The only real work I've done in my adult life is being a waitress/bartender. I appreciate being able to bring home cash everyday. But about 4 years ago, I was fired from a job as a bartender because someone accused me of giving away free drinks. I had no way to prove my innocence and no money to fight it. It was devastating. Luckily I found another job only 2 days later but the fear of getting fired again through no fault of my own and left with no money stayed with me. So 3 months later, I found another job. Even though it was hard, I worked both jobs full time for the security of knowing if I was fired from one or if one went out of business, I would have another to fall back on.

I still work both jobs. One is a privately owned restaurant that's a bit upscale so I work 2 nights a week there making pretty good money. I even went back to work only 2 weeks after having my 3rd baby and less than a week after having my 4th. Of the 2, it's my favorite job. The other is a Corporate restaurant. I took advantage of the full 12 week maternity leave they offered. Even after then though, I wasn't too interested in going back. But I didn't want to burn a bridge so I went back after 7 months. They allowed me such an extended maternity leave because I worked there 3+ years and I'm a great worker. I only work there 2 days a week. The money is not that great, terrible actually, but it has other benefits. For instance, because I work there, I get a discount on my cell bill. There is also discounts at banks, mortgage companies and for auto loans. Also, my family and I are able to eat at any of the 4 restaurants in that Corporate family for 50% off.

I really want to leave the 2nd job because I find myself extremely tired nowadays. And I'm 8 weeks pregnant. All I want to do is sleep. But the "benefits" are very helpful. Should I stick with it? I don't fear so much being stuck without a job because I have a husband now who works a pretty secure job and we're able to save. I still will work the night job where I make more cash. I am also trying to get my babysitting/home daycare business off the ground so that will help bring in income if needed. What am I to do? I was thinking of working throughout the pregnancy even though I'm exhausted and see how I feel after the next maternity leave. Also, the 2nd job offers a $100 savings bond in the baby's name when you give birth while employed there. I think I've answered my own question. But what do you think?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you don't need the money to survive and you are in the process of starting a business, I would drop the job you are not fond of. Health benefits and retirement benefits are the only benefits worth staying at a job for. Discuss it with your husband and come to the conclusion of what's best for your family.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• just choose the job you wish to stick with..don't leave the other on bad terms..tell them you wish to leave for family reasons. (because your tired and you feel you should stay at home for your health and to be with your other children)..if you leave on good terms and they believe you were a hard worker maybe they would rehire you one day if you ever decided to go back
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• the only benefit that would keep me at a job would be health insurance and every restaurant job i've hads health insurance sucks. so no, i would not stay for those benefits that you listed.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Many people stay at jobs they don't like because of the benefits. However, those benefits are usually health insurance. You did not mention that in your list of benefits. So, considering all I would not return to that job after I had my baby. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Personally I have worked in resteraunts all my life. I will NEVER work corporate again. I always did better with the privately owned places. 100 savings bond is definately not worth staying over. IMO. If you are going to work in the industry why not go back to bartending? I work two nights a week and bring home $600.00. This is short term so I am also going to school to secure my later years. Good luck and how many kids did you say you have. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• AS long as your HCI is covered through your husband, I'd probably reduce to 1 job.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Are you going to be able to have benefits with your stay at home job? This is the worst part of working right now... benefits are so scarce and I only seeing it get worse. Right now, I am basing a lot of job decisions on what the company has to offer me and my retirement plans! LOL! I'm not relying on anyone or anything except for myself to cover these things. I think that's what's going to work best for me, and I'm not sure of your age, but wish you the best solution for you and your family.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It offers health but it's not that great. We are on the health insurance of my husband's job, which is much better.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i wouldn't be a waitress
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 1:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011