How many things in your house are Made in America?

I was watching the ABC evening news with Diane Sawyer and they are doing 5 part series on things made in America. If everyone were to by $66 worth of American made products it would save 200,000+ jobs. Take a look in your house and read the tags. You'd be surprised.  The family on the show thought they had a lot of American made products and they had nice furniture and items in their house.  Even the dog's bed was made in China.  

We have a cabinet in the living room made by the Amish and my daughter's bedroom set is maple made in Maine.

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 10:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• boobarandbell thats common. My husband works at a plant that makes Freight Liner and they have a plant in Mexico. They send parts back to the US to finish building the Liners. Anyway he said he got a hold of one thing and it proudly displayed "Made in America" (which my husband knew was not made in America) and he flipped it over and it said "Assembled in Mexico". All some companies are doing is having things made for them, shipped back, having finishing touches done and saying its American made.

Answer by gemgem at 10:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i just recently started becoming conscious of this. I try to buy American!

proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have no idea. I suspect that we have many US-made pieces of furniture, but that's not the kind of stuff where stores are loaded with cheap, third-world manufactured goods.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No clue. I am pretty sure dd's bedroom set is American made. We got it from Broyhill before they outsourced all their jobs to China.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I try to buy made in amercian. it's hard to do. and i don't mind paying a little more for made in america products.

That said, i thought i bought something made in america...it was an american flag to hang outside. it said made in america on the outside of the package. when i opened it up and read the insert/instructions, it said "individual parts made in China, assembled in America". *shaking head*
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We try to find products that are made in USA, but it's very hard to do anymore because of deceptive business practices (made overseas, assembled here). However, we do have a few Amish made items & I have found a few companies where I can buy tools & some household items as guaranteed made in the USA. DH has done some furniture building, so that guarantees it was made here..lol.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Hmmm. The house itself, along with the furniture was built by us ... so that is definitely all American. I knit/crochet our blankets and towels ... and generally use yarn spun by local crafters. All of my cookware is absolutely American made. I know there are things ~ if nothing else things with foreign made components/parts ~ but I would definitely prefer that all of it was American made.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• honestly 80% I shop at the post mall, and I buy from vendors, and I only buy all american furniture, allot of mine is Amish!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Not made in China?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• as far as i know the only things in my house made in America is my husband, meself and our 3 kids...o and the dog...the bird is from Mexico
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 9:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011