In light of all of the bullying incidents, how do you get mentally ready to send your child to high school?

I am having trouble focusing on all of the positives that can come out of my child going to high school because I can not wrap my head around how disrespectful and brutal kids today are towards younger kids. It has me on the edge. I am seriously thinking of home schooling!

Momgul

Asked by Momgul at 10:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You just do it. Bullying exists outside of high school in the real adult world too. That is how I see it. Kids need to learn how to deal with bullies and some of it does prepare them for the real world. I also let them know no matter what I am there to help them if someone is making their school time so unbearable they dont want to go.

Answer by gemgem at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Just because you hear about bullying doesn't mean your child is going to be bullied. You can't live in fear. For me I will hope that when the time comes my kids werer raised with enough confidence to not tolerate it and know the proper steps to take if it happens. I would wait and see what happens. But worrying that it could is just adding negative energy to a very special and important time in a childs life.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My oldest is graduating high school in a few months. Honestly, I think junior high is a lot worse than high school. Regardless, as awful as it can be, it is life (not just in school but beyond). We really haven't had the kind of issues you're referring to but I'd rather have my kids learn sooner rather than later. I agree with musicmom in that you shouldn't worry about something that may or may not happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We never had issues with bullying with my children as they hit high school. BUT they were all in the band in school and that gave them an automatic and large peer group to be a member of.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not at all. My son's high school has a zero tolerance for bullying and they actually follow that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You need to observe them at all times. I agree with gemgem they really need to learn how to deal with bullies because unfortunately theres bullies everywhere even adulthood :(
    But to make you feel safer maybe let your child have a cell phone. Tell them some rules and scenarios about bulling and what should happen. If you find out that your child is being bullied you should their high school. Now by law many schools are giving high schools students tickets for bullying as well as suspension. If your child's really uncomfortable going to high school after he/she tries it then you can think about out solutions. Google might also have tips about how to prevent bullying :) Good luck!
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 10:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This has come up here since just last night!  My son wouldn't get into detail, but something happened at school.  I'm trying to get it out of him slowly, letting him know it's ok to tell me.  Never seen him act the way he did last night.  I did keep home home today, the thought disturbing me.  I know I can't protect him at school and I don't know what to do. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We actually opted to homeschool when our oldest hit highschool - she was miserable and I didn't feel that she was safe (several reported rape cases happen at the high school each year, not to mention the drugs, violence, lack of education, ect).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Home school, not everyone does that great in high school. I would move out of high school fast and start a trade school or collage.

Also collage is not for everyone, there is nothing wrong with trade schools, there are a lot of good trade schools out there.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He took a test at a private school and got accepted that is the end of it. There is zero tolerance at his hs now and he loves it!
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2011