And I wondered why...

So, I took a shower and came out and the 700 Club is on (news is over I guess) and Pat says
"You know, Lee(?) the shocking thing is, our government no longer refers to a war on terror they are prohibited from identifying the source of the terror . They cannot any longer point to the fact that they're Muslims. They are the ones that are doing it and is (or it's) part of Islamic faith to wage jihad and jihad is not just a -a struggle in the soul, jihad is open killing of your enemies and we as the United States are considered enemies of Islam and we need to identify the enemies. In world war II, we didn't have any choice but to say the nazis were our enemies so we fought the nazis and we beat them But how can we beat an enemy if the government refuses to identify the ones who are doing the shooting and the fighting"

the blue words are the ones he put more emphasis on... and I wondered why a "friend" of mine on FB who is super religious would post so much hateful stuff about Muslims and Islam... *shakes head 

thoughts? 

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't understand why people can't seem to separate Muslims from Extremists (terrorists) ... they group ALL followers of Islam in the same barrel but have a FIT when Christians are compared to (for example) Westboro Baptist Church or the extremists that blow up abortion clinics.

As for the 700 club ... they are morons. Wait, is that insulting to morons???
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Pat Robertson is the biggest fear mongering recycled douche bag I have ever had the displeasure of encountering.

Why would your uber religious friend say such a thing? Because he/she has been completely deluded.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The perpetuation of misinformation about Islam is something that bothers me greatly - and this is a prime example...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Islam is one of the biggest minority religions in this country. If the government labeled this as a war against Islam, local citizens would be in danger. There are lots of other Islamic countries we are not at war with, so declaring we are fighting their beliefs would be a public relations nightmare. Like it or not, we must keep peace with as much of the middle east as possible thanks to our heavy reliance on oil.

The treatment of Japanese Americans during WWII was a dark smear in our government's history. I'm happy our nation is not pointedly singling out Muslims as all being potential terrorists.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• idk I am a believer and had my fil living with us and he was trying to do the same sort of thing and started telling my 6 yr old how muslims wanted to kill her. I explained to him how wrong he was to instill fear in my child that way. I told him as someone who believes in Jesus but is Catholic we dont teach that sort of fear! There is good and bad in every religion is my opinion and anyone taking things to any extreme are wrong. That goes for Islam, Christians,. Catholics and even those who claim Atheism.

Answer by gemgem at 10:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Understood- and this is part of why when asked "Why do you care so much about what someone else believes?" I can say in all honesty that religion (particularly christianity) is inherently dangerous.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Why would your uber religious friend say such a thing? Because he/she has been completely deluded.

she kept posting and posting and posting anti Muslim anti Islam stuff- and I kept trying to fight the hate by posting songs or different articles so she could see another side of things-but she just refused-so one day she posted something and I tried to counter it and she basically told me that I had already drank the kool-aid and would never see the truth. It was that day I deleted her-
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Pat Robertson lying, color me shocked. (that was sarcasm, for anyone whose detector is on the fritz)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That's the kind of friend I would block or delete. I can't stand people that live and breathe fear.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Fear mongering at it's finest and those that refuse to think for themselves fall for it every time. :(

It saddens me that people can figure out extremists exist in all groups and we ought not confuse the fringe with the norm.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011