How do I stop my 2 year old from bitting ?

My two yaer old son keeps bitting when he does not get his way are he gets mad how do I stop him this is the first bitter I have had my other kids never did this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite him back. Seriously, bite him back! My DD did this to untill I bit her back. She NEVER bit another person again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Yea, I agree. My nephew was a bitter and thats how we got him broke as awful as it sounds. Shows them how bad it hurts.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Never...Not ever bite a child! Psychology 101!!! If you bite him then he will naturally assume that it is ok! Monkey see, monkey do. Discipline and consistency...take away what is important to him and give time outs. Explain that we do not do this behavior after he has completed his time out. The general rule of thumb is 1 minute for every year of age ...a 4 year old, 4 minutes in time out. If you are consistent with the discipline..these behaviors will stop. Check out the show Nanny 911...she is great at these interventions. good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• we had a major biting problem at home and pre school. we started a rewards/consequences program for our 2 year old. If he didnt bite one day, he would get to pick a special cookie from the store. If he did bite, we would take something away, like not putting up his play tent, or watching a special video, etc. We would always remind him about his special reward first thing in the morning, and then we would reinforce why he was getting a cookie or not getting something. We praised him A LOT on the days he didnt bite. After months of on and off biting, it went away in less than two weeks, and never resurfaced. I was a little afraid that he would start expecting a cookie every day from now on, but the whole thing just sort of drifted away, he stopped biting and seemed to forget about the cookies.

So i highly recommend rewards/consequences, even at such a young age!
    lissalou828

Answer by lissalou828 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• before you bite him back, and psych aside, it may come to that, try this. next time he bites you, cry your ass off. i mean wail like someone just killed your momma. keep it up for a while. once your baby sees how biting you made you cry so much, he may just stop. this worked wiht both my kids.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008