Are gas stations charging different prices for cash and credit?

Here there is sometimes a difference of $0.10 - $0.25 between cash and credit. I hate it because other stores don't do this.  I don't pay a higher price for groceries or clothes if I purchase with a credit card.  Why should gas be any different?

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 10:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "Depends on where you go, but they have to pay the credit card companies if they take credit cards so they are just passing on the cost. Really it makes sense, they are offering you the service of accepting credit cards, so why should they pay to offer you another form of payment? I think the major issue is that the credit card companies not only charge you interest for using their card services, they also charge the stores per credit card transaction. "

If it had been that way since the beginning I would agree with you but doing it now all of a sudden feels more like nickle and dime tactics to me.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Depends on where you go, but they have to pay the credit card companies if they take credit cards so they are just passing on the cost. Really it makes sense, they are offering you the service of accepting credit cards, so why should they pay to offer you another form of payment? I think the major issue is that the credit card companies not only charge you interest for using their card services, they also charge the stores per credit card transaction.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As someone who takes credit cards in my business, and the one I work at, the cost of credit cards is ridiculous. Many businesses operate with a very fine profit line, 5% or less. Credit cards charge a per transaction charge, PLUS a percentage (which can be up to 3%) plus other random fees. Also the type of card you use can make a difference. Those rewards cards can cost over 3% of the transaction or more. It's crazy.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• They save money when you pay cash...those greedy businessowners are passing the savings on to you...imagine that!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No not where I live. Its the same price either way.

Answer by gemgem at 10:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yeah
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yeah, some places where I live are doing that too.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 10:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• A station by my home will give people a 20 cent a gallon break if they use cash or gift card. I bought some gift cards for the station and use them now.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 10:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have seen stations between Houston and Dallas that do that. Not all, but a few.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Several do but usually it is lower if you use a card.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2011