Do your kids curse at home? adult content

A few of my mommy friends dont even let there children say shut up or stupid, now i see nothing wrong with this being as its there children but when there visiting our home should I not allow my son to speak the way we allow him when its just us at home?

We allow our son to use any words he wants when we are at home but in public we do not allow him to speak that way!

myboysRmyhero

Asked by myboysRmyhero at 10:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't really let my son 'curse.' Of course, he's 3...when I was a teen, my dad didn't even like it when I cussed. He wouldn't 'correct' me but he'd say, "Hey! Watch your mouth." In fact, he still gets upset when I drop the F-bomb but I rarely use it, so he knows its usually just because I'm really mad.

My grandmother wouldn't let me say "stupid" when I was living with her...did I mention I was married and had my son for that short period of time we were there? I also wasn't allowed to tell my son 'knock it off.'

I would probably encourage my son to censor himself out of respect for others-especially if there are other children around because I think its really important to bring your kids up to realize that what works for our family may not work for others and vice versa.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 11:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You can have your kids speak any way you want. I teach my kids that people who use words like shut up, stupid, and curse words are just not smart enough to know better words, so it means nothing to us to hear others speak with little intelligence.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No, my kids do not cuss and personally I wouldn't let my kids go to play with someone that I knew cussed all the time. My kids aren't allowed to say shut up, stupid, sucks, and there are several others I can't think of right now. If another kid is visiting our home and uses a cuss word (never had it happen), I would tell them that's not how we talk in this house. If another adult is visiting our home and uses a cuss word (that HAS happened), I ask them to please watch their language.

Answer by missanc at 11:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'm one of those mommies who don't let my children say shut up or stupid. They don't swear and we don't swear in front of them. So you let your kids swear? Interesting....
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We don't allow our kids to curse, nor do we allow them to use words like stupid or shut up, nor will we any time in the near future. I can't see any benefit to allowing your child to curse at home or anywhere else. Also, I am one who keeps her kids away from places where I know there's a lot of cursing/bad language going on, and I wouldn't want MY child playing with a child that I know curses all the time. JMO, of course.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• "We dont see were we can tell him not to use the same words he hears us use, after all they are just words!"

Then maybe you shouldn't be using those words? Why would you even want to speak that way in front of others, let alone your own kids... in such an uneducated, offensive manner?

They are offensive words. That's why they are banned in schools, on certain websites, etc. They are even illegal still in some states. I know our state can still issue tickets for public profanity.

Kids learn new things and slip, but if one of my 'freinds' allowed their kids to use such language and spoke that way themselves, they would no longer be my freind. I don't want to hear that kind of language, and my kids don't need to hear that anymore than society already pushes that button.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No, we are not cursing family and my kids know better than to use that language, there really is no reason for it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I consider any word that's offensive, rude, inappropriate as a swear word. Shut up stupid is offensive to me therefore, a swear word.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• People who shelter their kids end up with bad kids in the long run. I've seen it happen way too many times. That's my 2 cents.

I have seen the opposite actually. Parents who raise their kids to do anything they want usually have teens and adult children who end up in jail or in other trouble. To each their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My kids arent allowed to cuss at home or anywhere else. They also arent allowed to say Shut up, or anything else that is just bad manners and low rent sounding. I am SURE my teenagers do say things they arent supposed to when I am not around but around me? Nope. They have to also say Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am, and Yes Sir No sir.
    What you choose to do with your kids is up to you but you should have the same standard for public and at home.

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011