So can we all agree that the TeaParty is racist now?

I mean since Obama said so, it must be. Right? It certainly would not be due to his progressive policies.

..But Obama, in his most candid moments, acknowledged that race was still a problem. In May 2010, he told guests at a private White House dinner that race was probably a key component in the rising opposition to his presidency from conservatives, especially right-wing activists in the anti-incumbent "Tea Party" movement that was then surging across the country. Many middle-class and working-class whites felt aggrieved and resentful that the federal government was helping other groups, including bankers, automakers, irresponsible people who had defaulted on their mortgages, and the poor, but wasn't helping them nearly enough, he said.

A guest suggested that when Tea Party activists said they wanted to "take back" their country, their real motivation was to stir up anger and anxiety at having a black president, and Obama didn't dispute the idea. He agreed that there was a "subterranean agenda" in the anti-Obama movement-a racially biased one-that was unfortunate. But he sadly conceded that there was little he could do about it.

http://nation.foxnews.com/tea-party/2011/03/02/obama-says-tea-party-racist-new-book#ixzz1FYKwf4Lb

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/03/02/obama-says-race-a-key-component-in-tea-party-protests

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 11:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Still playing the race card I guess. It doesnt change the fact there are minorities like myself who dont agree with him & it has nothing to do with race.

Answer by gemgem at 11:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The movement may not be racist in itself, but they have drawn racists to rallies I have covered.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

So you let a couple of people determine what you think of the whole bunch? Then I guess I should throw all democrats into the same pile as the radical left.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We really shouldn't be judging a whole group based on the actions of some.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The movement may not be racist in itself, but they have drawn racists to rallies I have covered

And the Union protests in WI have union members saying they want to vote for Castro and Chavez.

Your point was......????
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

Were they welcomed with open arms would be my question? Were they a targeted invite? If its a public rally you can't control who shows up.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I recall a video of a few turd balls showing up with blatantly in your face racist signs @ one of the the Tp's ..and they got ran off immediately.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Anyway I doubt that is what GD was saying..I don't think she was meaning it that way at all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

I Didn't think so either.......Just like the protesters in Madison some of the videos I have seen, they have to be wishing some didn't show up.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• "The movement may not be racist in itself, but they have drawn racists to rallies I have covered

And the Union protests in WI have union members saying they want to vote for Castro and Chavez."

That's not the same as people calling for the lynching of President Obama and screaming that the government has been taken over by Jews.

As Charis notes, it's hard to control who shows up at a public rally, but organizers can work to marginalize them and move them to a more out of sight position. To their credit, the TEA Party folks I've seen HAVE done just that.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 AM on Mar. 3, 2011