Would you sign the papers and send them back to school?

We got a form to complete our child's information such as his race, weight, height, any medical conditions. The form also says that the police will be at the school and will be issuing ID cards as part of the Operation Child Safe. Would you authorize for your child to be finger print by the police in order to obtain the ID card?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it is a good idea! But it would need to be updated ever 6 months-1year to be truly affected. But honestly you could do it at home to I'm sure. You can get ink pads at an office supply store, and write down identifying markers, and put a new picture and height and weight every time they go to well kid check ups (just a good habit so it is done when you just took height and weight), and any medical information that is pertinent, allergies, medical conditions, etc. I am going to as my son is homeschooled and I don't know where else to go to get it done.
    JoyfulJ

Answer by JoyfulJ at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I filled out something similar at a kids fair. Teh police were there and took pics of the kids, and finger prints, wrote down any identifying marks we told them about. they put it all in a packet and gave it to me to file incase we ever need it. I think they even put a cheek swab in there. I have the packet, the police didnt keep it, they said if my dd is ever missing we can hand over the packet and it helps them have the info they need quickly. When an emergancy happens parents res o freaked out and it is hard to answer questions about birthmarks and such..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes. If my child were ever abducted, they would have them on file. And they never change over time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• yes,and hope he never gets in trouble with the law. They'd already have his prints! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with Ria - when my kids were little, we did this, too. The police do NOT keep it - YOU are the one to keep it, so they don't have any files on your kids. One of the things we got was this little ID card that was basically similar to a drivers license style picture, with a list of birthmarks, birthday, eye color, etc on it. You can tuck the card in your wallet and have it on you. That way, if someone takes your kid and you're (understandably) freaking out, you can give this to the authorities and they can look for them - and know exactly what kid they are looking for.

Now, when we did this, they didn't do the dna swabs for us to get to keep (it's a great idea, we just did it yrs ago), but we did get the fingerprints. Again, the cops didn't keep a copy of it - we were given the cards. Because, again, Heaven forbid, but they might need to have that stuff as the only way to ID your baby some day.... :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes

Answer by older at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes. We have all of that information on file with local police already.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2011