Murderers, rapists, and thieves OH my...

How can God be a God of love and still send people to Hell? If God loved people, why wouldn't he forgive someone for their unbelief? *question asked on the 700 Club*

answer given: "He doesn't send people to Hell because of un-bleief -they go to Hell because of sin. They go to hell because of principles that God set forth" he goes on to say basically God is all over the airwaves in America and overseas and "the sky declares the glory of God and everybody can understand there is a moral law and they deliberately violate that law. Hell was intended for the devil and his angels. BUT Let me ask you- if someone is a rebel, somebody is a murderer, kidnappers, rapists,liar, cheat do you want that person in Heaven? NO. god said...I'm sorry, you don't qualify. So what's left? It's terrible, but that's why people need to understand. Don't talk about my God not being loving, or he's loving and how could he do it, talk about what you've got to do to make sure you're in Heaven."

********
umm...
so he is saying those who do not believe in his God are deliberately violating the law and equating us to murderers, rapists, kidnappers and the like?
way to make this an us and them thing...

I have been watching bits and pieces of The 700 Club the last few weeks-partially because it comes on after whatever news I had on and I'm too lazy to change the channel and partially because I am interested on their take on things...I can see why my grandma was the way she was after seeing some of what they say on here. She used to watch it EVERY DAY and only listened to Christian talk radio if her radio was on.

I'm curious if any of the Christians have problems with what he said or how he said it?

EDIT: Also- anyone can throw in their thoughts on this- not just Christians ;)

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I believe hell for hypocrites-not those that do not believe- I believe if you profess to believe and then continually and without remorse live your life in a way that goes against "do no harm" than you will be surprised at what awaits you in the here-after. I do not believe Hell is a firey place full of good, moral and just Atheists simply because they do not believe-

Oh, and not a fan of the 700 Club-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• OP, turn off the 700 club. It's nothing but fear-mongering hate speech and you're likely to lose brain cells.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He just perpetuated the whole "if you don't believe in our God, you must be evil and have no morals" idea that some Christians have.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's really quite simple.
    No matter what you have done, everyone has sinned. We are all imperfect because we are human. Jesus Christ is the sacrifice that allows God to forgive sin. If you accept Jesus and try to live better in his name, then you are forgiven and go to Heaven. If you dont accept him then you have sinned but havent been forgiven for it, and you are just as judged as murders, rapists, and thieves.
    "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    "It is by grace you have been saved, through faith. And this is not of yourselves it is the gift of God. Not by works so that no man may boast"
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I believe what he said is untrue. I believe you cant loose your salvation. Christ died because for our sins. Once you accept Christ you will go to heaven. If you refuse Christ as your savior willingly you will go to hell.

Guess we will find out the truth when we die.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Personally, I've always questioned how the concept of Hell- a place of ETERNAL punishment with no apparent point to it except it being a storage for those who believe differently or acted wrongly- reconciles with the idea of a loving G-d. I've often asked this from Christians and never really got a satisfactory argument, I'm not really shocked the 700 Club didn't manage to answer that question as well. So if a person uses his/her G-d-given free will to either find a different spiritual path or worship Him in a different way, he/she gets send to a place of ETERNAL suffering, no second chance, no possibility of correcting mistakes? Even the harshest of parents will give a child a chance, but G-d won't?
    Personally, I feel my religion has a more loving view of G-d, where the consequences (not punishment) for our transgressions aren't eternal and are educational for our soul, not punitive.

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• And we indeed get more chances to grow, to improve spiritually and to make our souls worthy of the ultimate closeness to G-d. G-d created us imperfect, fallible, prone to fall into temptations and He also hid Himself from this world so that we could use our free will to find Him and seek a relationship with Him through our own merits. And even with that the punishment for making a mistake and not seeing what He intentionally concealed is ETERNAL, pointless suffering? The idea just doesn't sound right, at least those don't seem like the action of a G-d whose supposed to be loving and who gave us a purpose to achieve.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well I reject the notion of hell entirely, and believe God is too loving for such a place to exist. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Eh at the 700 Club.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Crap I ment to vote that answer DOWN....no offense but it didn't answer the question that was asked, it just spouted off Bible verses.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011