The NEED to identify our enemies...

I asked this in religious debate-but not getting many responces- so here it is with a different title!

So, I took a shower and came out and the 700 Club is on (news is over I guess) and Pat says
"You know, Lee(?) the shocking thing is, our government no longer refers to a war on terror they are prohibited from identifying the source of the terror . They cannot any longer point to the fact that they're Muslims. They are the ones that are doing it and is (or it's) part of Islamic faith to wage jihad and jihad is not just a -a struggle in the soul, jihad is open killing of your enemies and we as the United States are considered enemies of Islam and we need to identify the enemies. In world war II, we didn't have any choice but to say the nazis were our enemies so we fought the nazis and we beat them But how can we beat an enemy if the government refuses to identify the ones who are doing the shooting and the fighting"

the blue words are the ones he put more emphasis on... and I wondered why a "friend" of mine on FB who is super religious would post so much hateful stuff about Muslims and Islam... *shakes head

thoughts?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 11:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There are no "blue words" in your post.

Of course we need to identify our enemies! Are you so politically correct that you cannot bring yourself to speak the truth? The 9/11 attacks were not caused by some radom nuts. The Ft Hood shooter wasn't just some come with PTSD. The guy that killed the soldiers in Germany yesterday didn't do it on accident. Like it or not, there are people in the world that have politicized Islam and are using it for very evil purposes. Not admitting it essentially puts you on their said because it gives them power.

I don't like the "war on terror" and the connection to Islam...but I didn't start this mess....THEY did. I just happen to recognize it for what it is and I am honest enough and smart enough to say PC be damned this is how it is.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We aren't fighting Muslims, we are fighting Al Qeda and the Taliban

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I do think that there is a need to ID our enemies - HOWEVER I do NOT agree that our enemies are Muslims. Our enemies happen to claim Islam as their faith, but then again, Hitler claimed to be Christian....

Our enemies are Hezbolla, Fatah al-Islam, Hamas, Al Qaeda, etc. Just as in the past our enemies were (to use the example that is cited above) the Natzi's and Japan - but that didn't mean that we were at war with Christianity or Buddhism....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Actually, he frequently publicly claimed Christianity ("As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice." - a quote from one of his many speeches) - while privately scorning Christianity. Which is why I said he claimed Christianity, not that he was a Christian :-)

Much like many of the terrorists that we're fighting today do - they claim a public piety to their faith, yet their actions show that their true feelings are just the opposite.

As I said, I do believe that we need to know who are enemies are - but I think that to make a general statement that it's all Muslims that are the enemy is wrong for a lot of reasons, and a dangerous path to go down.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• oops should be some "guy" with PTSD.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We do have to identify and know our enemy..what exactly do you think our military..police officer..fbi do? That is a stragedy that is an absolute MUST..so I agree with YSK.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• , Hitler claimed to be Christian....

Actually, he rejected Christianity.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The enemy could be anyone. I would not identify the enemy as Muslims, no broad brush here. A 12 year old boy, the son of religious parents and 1 of 7 children, was arrested for killing his parents and wounding 2 of his sibs. Since he is just one of many tweens/teens who have committed such acts, are we willing to label all kids in that age group "the enemy"? 6 years ago, I might have-LOL

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• *sorry about the blue words- I'll fix it- I jsut copied and pasted and I guees they all ended up the same color...
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am not familiar with the 700 Club...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011