Should the owner of the building pay part of the gas bill?

We moved to a new apartment 2 months ago and we just got the bill of the gas $620. The owner told us that the bill wouldn't exceed $200. I don't know what to do the lease specifies that the tenant pays for the gas bill. The rent is 1,520.00 for 2 bd apt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• One time I got a bill for over a thousand dollars for one month in a ONE BEDROOM apt I was renting. I immediately called the gas company & demanded they come & check the meter. They did & compared it with the last recorded reading & discovered the meter reader had READ THE METER BACKWARDS!! Yes, he recorded the numbers in the reverse order causing it to look like we had used a huge amount that we did not use. I would demand a re-read.
    Anonymous

• You need to call the gas company and have them come over and see if there isnt something causing this amount of a bill. If they do find something wrong you need to get a statement from them and give it to your landlord to repair. I would then ask him to pay half since it was his fault. If there is nothing wrong, then that is how much you spend in gas. You have to pay it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If there are other units in the building, are you sure that the gas is just for your unit or did you receive a bill for all of it? Something doesn't sound right.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• But if there is something wrong, maybe past payments that the owner is responsible for, then the owner should pay what he/she is responsible fore.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Somethings not right with that bill. You need to look into that. But if you really want to protect yourself in the future, ask for a copy of the last 3 months bills. Then he cant' lie. I don't know what kind of protection you have for verbal information.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would call the gas company and ask them to explain the bill - because I agree with the pp's, something doesn't sound right (unless you have the heat cranked way up) - you've likely got a deposit / hook up fee on there, or possibly you've gotten the bill for the whole building. But I'm sorry, no, you can't expect the landlord to pay part of the gas bill if your lease says you're responsible for it (unless you can show that it's because you're getting the bill for everyone in your building).

Something that might help down the line though, if you ever decide to live in a different place - instead of trusting the landlord on what the average utility bill is, in most places, you can contact the gas, electric, and water companies and get a quote as to what the average bill for that address was the yr before, and use that as a guide.

gl - I hope you can get this resolved!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• In an apartment it was THAT much? WOW! That's insane! I dont see how its possible. I live in a 3 bedroom 2 level duplex & my highest gas bill this winter has only been $96!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If it says in the lease agreement that the tenant pays the gas bill, then no, the owner should not pay half. It's the tenant's responsibility.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Holy Cow that is a large gs bill! Our gas bill is high sometimes because we have to fill a propane tank. What is your thermostat set on? Does it have a deposit included on the bill? The landlord shouldnt have to pay part of your gas bill.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No. They didn't use the gas, you did. Perhaps they based that amount on having the thermostat set at a much lower temp than you had it OR gas rates have increased since last winter. My gas bill in this house (rent is $1300 month but it's a 4 bedroom/2 bath house....we own our home but we are displaced due to a fire in Jan. and our insurance pays the rent here) was $220 for 17 DAYS so I imagine that for a month it would be close to $400. Luckily my insurance coveres anyhting over $185 (average gas bill for this time of year in our home that burned) but if it didn't I ceretainly couldn't ask the landlord to pay anything over an amount they may have given me for an average gas bill if they lived here. I keep the heat at 70', maybe they based there amount on keeping it at 65'. Who knows.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2011