How do I get my son to stop gagging himself?

I am in need of some advice moms. I am a single mother to a beautiful little boy. He is 18 months. I recently started dating i guy who absolutely adores him. They play together sooooo well. we visited this guy recently at his home it was lovely he took percautions for my son when organizing his home. when we got there my son was fine. Alittle road wiery i am sure but we ran around and played the majority of the evening. he went to bed very well and the next day "my guy" went to work and my son played until he got home. he took us out to eat and everything was fine. Later that night he started to gag himself with his fingers. we are home now and he still continues? why do yall think this is? is he jelous? or is it a faze he is going through? .

momdallas

Asked by momdallas at 4:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• SS did this around that age as well. Then at about 2 years he learned that he could kick himself in the butt and that was his new thing. I just think that they love the idea that they can manipulate their own bodies and their own environment. They are taken care of so much that when they learn THEY can do it, they go crazy with it, IMO. I think the timing is strictly coincidental. My sister at that age would hold her breath until she nearly passed out because she could.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• He's curious more than likely. He's found a novelty, and he'll keep at it until it's not a novelty anymore. I really doubt it has anything to do with jealousy, particularly since it doesn't sound like he's displayed any other signs of it. Most kids do these things from time to time. My nephew did this, but with spoons. It lasted about a week, then he got bored with it and stopped. But while he was doing it, he thought it was funny!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• he's doing that for your attention. yes you spend the entire day with your son and most waking hour. My daughter is 18 months also and does that too along with biting her self. I tell her do not hurt my isabella I love her and need her safe. just like that and she laughs at me. I kiss her and distract her with something else to do.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 5:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• This is a common self-exploratory behavior for a young child to engage in; He's just found something new that he can actually control and repeat as often as he likes to experience the sensation. Once he has satisfied his curiosity, he'll more than likely stop and find something new to worry you with. Just watch him and make sure he isn't causing himself to throw up frequently or is otherwise hurting himself.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yeah kids do that. No its not about the boyfriend and is just a coincidence that its happening at the same time. Its a new thing and he LOVES the attention he gets when he does it. He will find something new pretty soon. They think its fun but its scary to us.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son does this too! At about that age. He is now 28 month and he still does it occassionally. He thinks its funny when I tell him to stop. Don't worry about it....hes just found out that he can do it and he thinks its fun!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is teething so he chews on his fingers and sticks them too far in the back of his mouth by accident. He could be doing that. Teething can still happen at 18 months, especially when they get those back teeth. Also, my friend's daughter did that because she thought it was funny when my friend only told her to stop.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008