Do you ever have a battle of wills with your baby?

If so, what about? Bedtime? Time to get up in the morning? I had my first serious one with my son this morning over him wanting to get up two hours before he usually gets up. I don't want to start getting up earlier every day, I'm pregnant and have really bad insomnia and I need what little sleep I can drag out every night. I refused to get him up, and he screamed and cried until he was hoarse and I was afraid the neighbors were going to think I was a horrible mother. After about an hour, he stopped crying and I got his breakfast ready before getting him up. He was in his crib playing with his stuffed animals and happy as can be. He gave me a big smile and we had a very pleasant morning together. Have you ever done this? Does it make you feel guilty, even though you are really just sticking to your guns?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't have let him go for an hour... but a battle of wills pretty much describes the parenting experience.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am having this with my 4 year old.
    She has started ultimatums.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Gosh yes EVERYDAY! I am also prego with a 4 yo and a 2 yo. The two yo is in his NO phase :-(
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• yes, that does happen here. but i agree, i wouldnt have let him go an hour. sometimes my 13 month old daughter wakes up early out of the blue, like 5 when she usually gets up at 7. it just means something is off, so i go in there, lay her down, give her her paci & blankie & she goes right back to sleep til her normal wake up time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son always fights me to sit down. He cant stand on his own but wants me to hold him up standing all the time. I eventually had to put him in the exersaucer because I cant get anything done or help my older kids. At first he faught me on that too. He would spread his legs really far apart so they wouldnt fit in the seat. He doesnt do it so much now.
    mrssmitley1210

Answer by mrssmitley1210 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes, now I just have trouble with him gettin up early bc I'm gettin him out of sneakin in bed w/ me at night. He was bad about it so now he wakes up early bc he thinks it not night time & comes in there at like 4-5 so I have to put him back in bed.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 12:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2011