Did you ever aborted a fetus diagnosed with down syndrome are know someone who has. do you regret it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Y did u do that?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Did you? Are you considering doing it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No but I know people who have aborted for other reasons and even though they feel bad about it and it stays with them they don't "regret" it because they made the right choice for themselves at that time.
    Anonymous

• No but I know women who have aborted who end up feeling bad about it for a long time.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• im a special needs nurse and this is a very personal question. everyone has different circumstances that they may need to base this kind of decision on. its of no one elses business what a person in this difficult situation decides to do. if you are facing this or know someone who is i suggest you seek private counsel.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No, but I could see how that could be a difficult decision. I personally wouldn't want to know if I was pregnant with a baby with downs syndrome.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My sister in law did abort a child that she was told would have an rare disease where the child would live with major issues. I can not remember the name but basically the child would only live a few weeks at most and be in alot of pain. She did abort as suggested by her doctors and she regret not allowing her child to be born and held . She had another baby with what the doctor thought was an similar disorder my niece is now 8 with no show issues she is a little delayed then others her age but nothing profound .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My MIL's sister did. I dont think she regrets it. She felt she couldn't care for a child with that disability & that is what she chose to do.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone that aborted would feel bad at one time or another of for a long period of time. But that is totally the parents decision I sould set down with my hubby maybe even a counsler, something or somebody who can weigh in that isn't involved someone who can just listen and hear ya out and go from there. There are alot of questions I would ask my self in that situation before I made my decision. I cant say that I would or would not. But I can say that if you are going through this now that hugs are coming your way. Just be strong do your research and make the best decision you can for your LO.
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 12:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i havent but it was one of my options when i was pregnant with my second child. they "thought" she had down syndrome, ruled that out and then "thought" she had cystic fibrosis. i did an amnio to confirm it. while awaiting the results i pondered what i was going to do if they were positive. i did come to realize i wouldn't have aborted her, but the results came back negative anyway.

alot of times, those blood screens they do during pregnancies come up with false positives. i refused to have the test done during my third pregnancy and will again in any future pregnancies, because it doesn't matter to me either way.

i can truly sympathize and understand women who would abort for positive down syndrome results, though. taking care of a child with disabilities is challenging and can also be very expensive if you dont have proper medical coverage. it takes a special kind of woman to take something like this on.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011