Bambi

I love BAMBI. But I remember when I watched it for the first time (I was 7) I cried.

Well, with it out on DVD/Blu Ray now, we are going to buy it. But I'm not sure if it's a good movie for my son to watch.

We are very careful as to what he watches, and I'm wondering if the scene his mother get shot in will scare him.

For those who's soon the first Curious George movie, he cried the first few times he watched it and the balloons all bursted and George fell from the sky. Now he's fine with it. And he does watch Scooby-Doo now.

When was the first time your child/ren watched Bambi? Did they get upset at "the scene"?

SouthernMama08

Asked by SouthernMama08 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• it is one of my 4 year old's favorite movies. she doesn't cry during that scene. i did when i first saw it though.. like hysterically lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My kids are 8 and 6. I don't remember how old they were when they saw it but they both have. They both know what happened and they have empathy for Bambi - but it didn't create lingering problems of any sort. Heck, we saw Up and I cried at the first few scenes. My kids didn't get what my problem was. ;) I also cried at the end of Toy Story 3. My daughter cuddled in for a hug and my son thought I was nuts. LOL!

This is one of those things that is going to come down to your gut call. How old is your son? How does he handle scary or emotional films now?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Honestly I dislike that movie. It is probably one of the saddest Disney movies ever and it deeply traumatized my oldest son. We raised our sons to know that movies aren't real, etc. and my sons could watch movies like Critters, Ghoulies, Nightmare on Elmstreet (my sons are 20, 21, 23 and 25 so times were a little different, LOL) with no issues. And then along came Bambi which really upset my 25yo (he was around 3 or 4 when he saw it) because the mommy died. When he was 5 and in K we lived out in a rural area and one day we came out of the apartment building to go to the bus stop and there was a dead deer on the front of someones truck. My son became hysterical screaming about Bambi's mommy being dead....the poor kid was really upset. My 23yo was also upset by Bambi's mommy dying and my younger 2 have never seen Bambi because of how it affected their brothers.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I won't watch Bambi or Dumbo. I don't know why Disney always wants to kill or otherwise hurt the mother. (Another example: "Finding Nemo")
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I STILL cry when I see that movie...I cry at Lion King and UP too...my 4 yr old hasnt seen it yet...not because I don't think she should, just because we havent bought it yet
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I remember crying at that movie. I don't know if I want my kids to see it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011