What do you think about this

earlier today i was watching the news 6:00am and their was report about a woman who put her three year old in the oven here where i live in New Orleans. What makes people harm children?

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Crazy, psychotic and mentally ill. No normal person would do this to their child!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Mentally ill. Or just sick and twisted.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Mental illness. Stupidity.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This could not be anything but mental illness I have 1 child and two on the way . I get angry that my son does things or when the twins kick all night and I get no sleep . But Lords knows I am thank him 100 times more that I am able to have these kids in my life. I have days where my son keep me going in bad times his smile lets me the parent knwo things will work out. I can not imagine what would make a person do any harm to their child.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 1:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Stupidity. Plain and simple. Or drugs- I see a lot of that. I saw a story on the news a month or two ago about a mom who left her son home alone with her 'boyfriend', and the boyfriend BEAT him all day and all night because he wet himself on the couch. And no one did a damn thing about it until the guy took the kid out in the front yard unconscious. AND the mother knew he was like that! I have seen a TON of stories like that as well. Mom wants the bf so bad she can't see that he's killing her babies. Too sad- I'd take every one of those babies in a heartbeat and LOVE them, not hurt them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This is just one of many tragic things i've heard about children on here today. I love my son, I had him when i was young. It gets difficult but I can't fathom ever wanting to hurt him!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• A few years ago there was a story on the local news about a father who put his son in the microwave. Had something to do with post traumatic stress disorder, after coming back from iraq. He was sentenced to a mental hospital for I believe so many years, at which point it was written in his sentence whether he'd be released to prison, or remain there. When he came to he tried to save the boy, 4 months old at the time. Mental illness is a horrible thing, and when I hear stories about children who are harmed because of it I have as much sympathy for them as I do the parents. My Busia (grandma) was schizophrenic, among many other mental health issues. She tried to kill my mom on more then one occasion, but whenever she came too it broke her even more to know what a "monster" she was. I never loved her any less because of this, and neither did my mom. It's horrifying, but we all understood she wasn't herself during these times.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2011