Bigger Nursery or Smaller Nursery?

I just need some opinions, especially those from moms who went through something similar.

I have few options for a nursery. A smaller room closest to my bedroom, or a bigger room that is still close but not as close. I also have a huge room that is currently the guest room but I think it's too big for a nursery, I feel like it's even too big as a guest room.

I want two children eventually and I'm not sure if I should start out with the small room as the nursery and then move my baby boy into the bigger room once he is older, or if I should just make the nursery the bigger room and that way I don't have to do rearranging at all. But eventually the small room will end up being the nursery anyway for baby #2 but that's a ways off and I'm not sure I should even worry about it because who knows what could happen!

So basically I guess I'm asking if a smaller nursery is the better option, or if it's better to use the bigger room and let the child grow up in the same room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd start with the smaller room since it's closer to your room.
    To tell you the truth, I hardly even use his nursery. I change his diapers in there on the changing table, and obviously his clothes and crib are in there, but as far as playing and all that we spend most of our time in the living room. He's not old enough to play in his own room yet, so I even keep the toys in the living room. So I just don't think the size is important until the baby gets a little older and needs space of his own.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Start him in the room you will want him to stay in. Because if you have it all painted and decorated and then your next one is a girl. You won't want to move all his stuff to the bigger room, repaint it, and then repaint his old room. I'm going through this same thing right now. My daughter is in a tiny room and I'm pregnant with a boy. I'm planning on keeping her in her room and just putting him in the bigger room. Then I can put some of her toys and books in there too. Having it close to your room really isn't a big deal. You will hear them cry. Maybe the room that is farther from the living room or bathroom would help with the noise level.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would go with the smaller room for several reasons:

1- a bedroom is best for sleeping only. If you have a play space/ play room then you don't need more than a bed and dresser in a bedroom. There are tons of parenting experts to suggest this and I think there is a lot to be said for it. It is known to help sleep and when they are older, it keeps them from distraction.

2 - Baby is meant to be as close to you as possible...so the closer the better.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 4:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am using the smaller room as the nursery because we are basically "losing a room" and need to fit everything that was in the nursery into the other room. It made sense to us. We also thought the smaller room would be more snug and cozy for the baby - which might be silly. I just didnt want it to be big and scary.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We had spare rooms, but I didn't do a nursery. I knew I'd be co-sleeping anyway.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011