So my son's gym teacher got caught slapping some kids upside the head...

Apparently this happened 3 weeks ago. During gym they were doing line dancing and she walked up to the kids who were doing it "wrong" and say "you're doing it wrong" with a slap to the head. One of the students reported her. And the other students stories all matched up. I asked my boys what they thought about this and they said they never seen anything like that with her but she seemed to be very edgy lately. She is currently suspended and not sure if she will come back.
She is one of the older ones who taught me as a child and is close to retirement. But to me it's sad she's going out this way.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 12:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Probably over stressed and having to deal with NOT being able to discipline kids because SOME parents think their kids are perfect. She should not have smacked a kid upside the head though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This happened with one of our band directors. She also worked with the flag girls. One of the flag girls wasn't doing it right, so the director smacked her. Needless to say, she isn't employed by our school or district any more. However, scarily, she is employed by a school in another district. :-0!! If this teacher is of retirement age, she may be a) old school of discipline (which isn't accepted by today's standards) or b) just outright TIRED and needs to retire. Either way, if she is assaulting kids, she has no business teaching any longer.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I just saw on the news that a mother walked onto the school bus and hit this little boy because he hit her daughter. And there was a bus driver who pulled a little girl down on the ground because she wouldn't sit right in her seat. It's horrible, I used to work with a daycare so I understand children can be frusterating but if I ever found out someone hit my child, it wouldn't be good for them!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• overstressed or not if a teacher slapped my kid. i think she or he needs to go:(
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When my sister was little, she had problems in school so she had to go to special ed for some classes. The teacher use to knock her in the head with her knuckles if she got anything wrong, if someone was in the room, she would reach under the table and pinch her hard on the leg. This went on for nearly two years before my sister told anyone. When my mom found out she went ballistic and the teacher was fired. Turns out she was doing it to all the kids she "helped" and my sister was the only one to speak up about it. I have no idea what happened to her after she left.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• She's probably tired of the bs that some kids put her through, and instead of handling it the RIGHT way, she is pretty much giving up. Sad when that happens, but I guess she figures she's retiring anyway, so what are they gonna do?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• @lovingmy4babies - they can fire her and NOT give her a retirement package! That's what they can do! So, this teacher needs to either retire while the gettin' is good or chill out and go with the flow.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I get stressed but I would never hit a child.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thats sad...when I was in Catholic school if the parents gave permission the teachers and the principle could spank you...I don't know if it still that way at some schools or not but maybe she came from that generation
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011