I have a 4 month old, I havent breastfed him for about 3 and a half months, I dont have any breast milk and was wondering if there is a way that I can begin breast feeding him again? Is it a good idea?

urbuttacup88

Asked by urbuttacup88 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put him to the breast and see if he will latch on. Then call your local La Leche League and get some support. Our bodies can do amazing things.

Good luck! :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You could try induced lactation. I'm pretty sure it can take several weeks to get things going again but stimulation from him suckling may help. GL.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Gen

Answer by Gen at 1:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you let him suckle frequently... the milk will return. It will take... approx a week or two (as a guide- depending on how often you do it) and you will be VERY sore... but I am an advocate for "natural" and there is just no way to reproduce the perfect milk from mom... make sure you have a healthy diet- everything goes into the milk. :) Go with your mommy instincts and don't let other people pressure you when you should stop. Best wishes!! :)
    SCMomKatie

Answer by SCMomKatie at 1:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• By letting your baby suckle, it is entirely possible to breastfeed again. Although, you will have to supplement with his current formula until your milk comes in. Wet nursing used to be a big thing back in the day when a mother died during childbirth (I know - olden days lol). Another woman would let the baby suckle which Often times it was a woman who had nursed another baby in the recent past. But, not always. And, here's a little known fact - men have the same mammary glands that women do (hence being mammals lol). And, even a man can be made to lactate by letting a baby suckle. That one takes a while since the hormones are different. But, it HAS been done.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That seems like a long time to not breast feed. You can still give it a shot but make sure your baby still is getting feed formula until you can produce enough milk.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes and yes. As long as baby is still living and breasts are still on the body, it CAN be done. The longer ytou go the harder it is but it's quite doable.

Adoptive moms who've never been pregnant can do it!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I did the same, but didn't leave such a wide gap. I stop breastfeeding my boy after the first 24hours. Mainly becuase it hurt like hell and i didn't give it a proper chance. About two weeks later, I asked my health visitor if I could start again. She got me a breast pump on lend (all sterile no worries) to give it a try. So after, milk started coming out again and I could latch him back on. I didn't do it for very long, just about a month. hope you have luck!
    Rae1990

Answer by Rae1990 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes you can. If baby will latch, that's a great start. Let him suckle as often as possible, and for as long as possible. If baby won't latch, post, and we can give you other things to do to get back to breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes and Yes! I relactated for my adopted baby, and it had been 6 years since I had breastfed! Here is another resource for you:

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/p/how-do-i-relactate.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011