Curious??????????

For those who do not believe in a God of judgment, absolute truth ect. As well as those who believe you just cease to exist when you die....is your belief really just a cover up for you doing what ever you want to do here in this life with no accountability and then taking an easy way out by believing you will not be judged one day or go to a real hell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Uh No. Even without believing in a God (of judgement or otherwise) there is still accountability. We are accountable to ourselves, our families, the laws of society. Really Belief in a God and "accountability" have nothing to do with one another. As for our lack of belief being the "easy way out" I can only laugh and wonder how you came to that assertation? The Bible states that those who "reject" God will go to hell. So then wouldn't the "easy way out" be to say you believe and cover your rearend? Your argument is highly flawed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Really??

I live for my life here on earth. I am accountable to my family, my friends, coworkers, and myself. I plan for retirement, my daughter's future, and our economic well-being. I support my community and country by following the law because I am adding to the benefits of living here. I respect people because I want to be respected.

I don't need religion to tell me the difference between right from wrong. I can do that for myself.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Who says we have no accountability and do whatever we want? I have morals. I know right from wrong. I also know my actions effect everyone around me. I am accountable to my fellow human being.

I'd like to turn the question around to you. Do you do whatever you want because your belief system teaches as long as you believe in Jesus you'll be forgiven? Sounds more like the easy way out to me.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes, even though we say we don't believe in those things, deep down we really do believe and are just pretending we don't so that we won't be afraid of the punishments we have coming our way for the immoral lives we lead. O.o *heavy sarcasm*
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Now if you ask me, I simply find the idea of God to be illogical when applied in a literal way. Same with an afterlife(any afterlife for that matter). As for the "morality" factor it has nothign to do with any Gods. Just as you will find good moral people with belief in God/s , you find those same characteristics in those without belief in God/s. Just as you find immoral selfish people with belief in God/s, you find immoral selfish people without belief in God/s. That has to do with their personal character and not their belief or lack of belief in God/s. Now some people that do believe in God may have trouble seperating the two because they see their God in everything around them and thus are prone to make generalizations without being aware of the impact of their words or that they might be incorrect.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• So then wouldn't the "easy way out" be to say you believe and cover your rearend?

--

ITA with this--at least when I've heard people say it's ONLY belief and actions do not matter. I think actions matter tremendously, whether this goes along with faith in a personal god or gods, an impersonal concept of God or forces of Nature, or no belief in gods.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• WHAT? That implies that people that do not believe are living an amoral life- what gave you the impression that people that do not believe are in general law-breaking, amoral do-nothings? Are you saying that people are incapable of a worthy life just because they do not believe? I am a believer and I have a hard time painting such a general and unfair picture of those that do not-
    I hope you were thinking of one person in your life that does this when you wrote this and realize you made an unfair, sweeping generalization-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't believe in a personal god, and I don't believe in permanent soul or an afterlife (at least not in the way most people mean, like Heaven or Hell). I do believe in being a decent human being, and acting in love, kindness, and compassion for it's own sake to ease our own suffering and the suffering of others (here and now). I am a Pantheist, and I practice Buddhism and some aspects of Taoism. Few Buddhists believe in personal gods; most are NON-theists (often Pantheists). Taoism is pantheistic; forces of Nature are pretty impersonal. The laws of physics are pretty impersonal too. It's best to act in ways that benefit all and recognize our interconnectedness to each other within the Universe--which means we should be try not to be greedy, selfish, ignorant, hateful, etc.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."~Albert Einstein

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Haha, absolutely not. Do you assume that we're actually out there doing things we know we shouldn't? I do believe strongly in living the way God would want me to. I work hard to be loving, compassionate, faithful, etc. I work constantly to cultivate and improve in my spirituality and relationship and understanding with/of God. Not wanting to be held accountable has nothing to do with why I believe the way I do. Just because I don't believe in hell doesn't mean that I do (or *want* to do) anything that would warrant my going there. I live just as faithfully as anyone else. I just don't believe that God's unconditional love is compatible with such a place existing, feel that such a concept is a great perjure to His character. It has nothing to do with accountability or wanting to live my life outside of what is 'right'. Its about what I truly believe about God and His character based on a lifetime of faith, study and reflection.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As an Atheist myself I can tell you that your speculation is highly incorrect. Now when I come across this assertation it is usually from believers that had once "turned their back on God out of anger" so that they could do what they want and then later they "returned to the faith." Technically they had never stopped believing though so their whole position of "they just don't want to be held accountable and take the easy way out" is based on their own experience where they did not want to be held accountable for whatever reasons.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011