how do you handle a custody battle involving a 14 year old boy who lies to the court about wanting to live with the other parent only because he feels sorry for that parent?

dad has had custody since they were babies. 17 year old daughter wants freedom but is failing classes in school and dad and step mom are strict and they will not allow it. She decides to run away with real mom because she isn't strict and plays best friend versus the role of mom. 14 year old brother is in the middle. Mom makes him feel sorry for her so he can go live with her but knows that his dad is where he should be living it. He told the judge that he wanted to live with his mom anyway. So now how does dad react to the son?

tryin2helpsis

Asked by tryin2helpsis at 1:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• There is not much you can do except make sure that a guardian ad litem is assigned to the child to get the accurate information from him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ugh that sounds so terrible. My best bet would be try to have her declared unfit? But that would be so hard, given their ages. I don't know, but best of luck.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There isnt much dad can do. First of all a judge doesnt always listen to the kids. They look at a number of factors, like who has been raising them, stability, grades, and relationship between both bio parents. Does dad have a history of disliking mom? Does mom have a history of the same? They look at the whole thing. Dad cannot expect his son to be mature enough to handle telling mom no. He is still developing and there is also a possibility he does want to live with mom and not dad, and just doesnt want to tell dad the truth. My son lives with his dad, wants to come home, but is scared to tell his dad the truth because he doesnt want to hurt dads feelings. When we go to court we will be dealing with the same situation basically. Hopefully my son will say what he really wants, but if he doesnt then I have to accept he is unable to say or stand up to dad.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I feel so sorry for situations like this. I'm sure the boy is going through a VERY difficult time. Parents should put children first and put aside differences for the best of the kids.
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• What do you do?? You stay out of it since it isn't your battle.

Anonymous

• I am sorry but there does not seem like there is much that can be done. Talk to a lawyer.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• you let him go
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 9:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2011