Did Jesus himself give a failed forecast of his return?

"[A]ll the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. ... Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. (Matthew 24: 30-32 NIV)

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• That isn't the first religious case of a failed prediction that been's re-interpreted to allow for a failure without admitting it. But it wasn't Jesus who made the prediction but the writer.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• noi I dont believe he failed at anything.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It also says in the Bible that no one knows the day or the hour of Christ's return....so obviously he wouldnt give you a literal timeframe. It doesnt specify what generation wont pass away. It could always be figurative language. Maybe he wont wait to return until Christianity has faded away. IDK, Im no Biblical scholar but no I do not believe God has failed.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No I dont think so. We dont know what generation he was talking about. I went to seminary school and learned about how they translated the Bible and some sayings and words they really couldnt translate the right way. This could be one of the many examples of that.

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I read Matthew and the other gospels as allegory, so I'm with some of the NT scholars who believe Jesus never actually claimed to be the son of God or that he would literally return. Some believe that Matthew is a fantastic elaboration of Mark and a document they refer to as Q (probably a group of sayings, like the Gospel of Thomas, but without the narrative of Mark and the other gospels).

For those who do read it literally, it would probably be hard to explain since that does sound like it would be within a short time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Maybe generation could be interpreted differently. As in certain evolutionary stage.
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Interesting it was a passage from Matthew it sounded like a passage from Revelation ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Again, taking a book written over 2000 years ago and trying to apply it literally = Epic Failure.
    And "technically' wouldn't that have been matthew's failed prediction? Since he wrote that specific Gospel (and after Jesus had died).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No. He has kept His promises so far, why not this one?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Honestly I think so. Everything about that verse implies a relatively short period of time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011