Is steping on a parents toes right?

I recently went to a show with my 3yr old and the kids next to me were acting up. The daughter was taunting the son by waving a flag he couldn't get. The boy started screeming at her and the mother looked up from her phone, did nothing, and looked back down. The girl then started waving the flag harder and smacking me in the face with it. I ripped it out of her hand, told her to settle down and gave it back to her. The mother than jumped my case for not telling her and letting her handle it. I feel I was in the right. What do you think.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Another disengaged parent...I probably would have done something similar even though it really wasn't okay. Never talk to the child, always address complaints to the parent...but again Kimkh in my moment of complete annoyance I would have done the same thing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Honestly I would have said something to you too. It wasnt your job to correct someone elses child. I would have maybe taken the flag and handed it to mom and said she hit me in the face with it.

Answer by gemgem at 1:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think the other mom was right to say something to you. Talk to the adults, not the kids.
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Let the mother handle it. If after that she isn't doing what she needs to do, then I would feel it was okay to step in. Otherwise, I might have made a light-hearted comment to the kid loud enough for the mother to hear of, Jeepers, kiddo, you have to stop smacking me in the face with that thing!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well, I personally would have dealt with you for touching my child. Or being so ignorant to rip it out of their hand. Sorry JMO. But you could have taken a better approach and said something to the mother about how rude her kids were being. The mother obviously didnt have enough respect for others around her, so someone should have said something to her. But you had no right to grab anything out of their hands.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i would've definitely said something to her if she smacked me in the face with it, but not have went as far as to rip it out of her hand. i probably would've been like "ouch! careful where you're waving that thing sweetie" loud enough for dumbass mom on the phone to hear me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• God I hate parents who let their kids act a damn fool in public places!!! So I totally understand why you took matters into your own hands BUT no it wasnt cool to correct the child yourself...that could have caused all kinds of problems...next time (and there will be a next time) get the parents attention and ask her if she could calm her kid down...although maybe nicer then how I just said it lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks for the coments I realize I should of handled it differently. I guess it is a hard thing to do in the heat of the moment.
    Kimkh

Comment by Kimkh (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011