Where do you feel a parent went wrong, when they have to call a show called super nanny?

So I was watching Supper Nanny reruns lol...because I couldnt sleep last night. I was just shocked at some of the episodes. They had no control what so ever over their little kids. Kids hitting their parents, swearing, taking huge tantrums, etc. I wanted to jump through that screen! What do people think about this show, do you believe what the nanny does is really effective or all for the cameras? What do you think about the parents?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think parents make mistakes, and as outsiders it's sometimes easier for us to see those mistakes in others. I guess the fact that they need help and recognize that is a good thing. I personally wouldn't want to be a national show myself, but the important thing is that they are at least doing something about their children's behavior.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I saw one of them last night... I think most parents try their best and most of the parents on the show, truly WANT to learn and have better kids and are willing to make many many personal changes.. Yes, I think She seems to be very effective!! I love that show!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• They never took control from the beginning. They never said NO, they never set boundaries, they let the little darlings do anything and everything they wanted. They failed as parents in that area. IMO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well do you think they get paid for it? I dont know, but I was just like...wow! this is insane. But I guess your right that they are showing that they do care enough to get help. Although, who knows if they follow through with what little was taught to them. At the end of the show...they always make it look like everything magically if perfectly fine. Doubt that. It takes time.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• From what I've seen, usually it is the parent wanting to be a pal to the child, or thinking the child is a dollbaby to be cuddled and hugged. One mom said that was her job, to cuddle and hug the children, another said I don't want the child to hate me. The child screams and fusses and the mom stands outside the room and hurts so badly because her nurturing instinct says don't let my child cry. But giving in to that instinct in cases where she needs to teach the child boundaries and acceptable behavior is not going to teach the child as other than if he screams long enough that mommy will come in and hug and cuddle and he's won the battle.

Answer by Bmat at 1:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well yes, I believe it is a mothers job to hug and cuddle their child, but also to show them right from wrong...and how to act. I dont know how these parents can sit there and just watch their children run their house hold. These little kids. Some almost in their teen years, basically running sh*t. Heck no. You need to put your foot down. You dont let your kids control you, you control them. But you dont reward bad behavior. Put them in their room...if they wine and scream, oh well. Your the parent no them. However, I will go back to saying that it is also your job to show them you love them.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There were times when my oldest acted like he was straight off that show. He has ADD and finally his meds seem to be working. It seems like a lot of those kids must have other problems.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i have considered calling sometimes. my older two i could handle with no problem, my 3yr old is the one that is just trying my last nerve. my youngest is still to young for me to do much as far as discipline, but she seems pretty receptive to what i have been doing. i finally had to go to my 3yr olds ped. and ask for a referral to a counselor who can hopefully give me some pointers that i havent tried yet.

tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Because parents are afraid to set boundaries and, as a result, the kids learn that they can walk all over them. Parents are afraid to be PARENTS for fear they'll scar their children for life.
    Anonymous